return to idle

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torque818

Reaction score
Just got my bike started for the first time (for me) after doing a full carb rebuild, got it to idle smoothly at about 8-900 rpms but when I blip throttle it takes about 3-4 seconds to come back down to idle. my thoughts are that it's rich and I need to screw in idle mixture screws, am I on the right track?

setting the mixture screws to highest idle is a good idea.Just turning them in is not. Hanging rpm could be slides not moving smoothly in the carbs. Vacuum issue maybe. Or possibly you mechanical advance hanging. If it idles good at 900 rpm your carbs must be pretty close to right. I'd just ride it and see if it works the bug out.

If you move the throttle closed does the idle come right back down? You may need to adjust the return cable.. it may be set too long..and not pulling the throttle closed.. just my thoughts on this...

Check all the above starting with mechanical, That is the cables. An air leak can cause this too. Many bikes that sat for years can have the slides hang up, the aluminum slides oxidize at the resting point and unless you clean them well they will be slow to seat.Be sure the round plastic washers under the caps face the right way.
I am taking about the slide caps and assosiated parts. The smaller part that rums up/down the carb body is also suspect..A good scrubbing with aluminum foil and dish soap will get them clean. For worse cases I use majic wadding polish, It cuts through preety well but take it easy with that stuff.