Riding a rail

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianinpa

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am on my way to New York City with my son, a place I really love to hate going to, and rather than driving this time, I am letting Amtrak take me there. For just about the same amount ofmoney as I would spend for gas, parking, and light rail from Jersey into Penn Station (I never drive into NYC), I boarded a train 15 miles from my house and I will get there 2 hours quicker. Looking at the GPS, I am seeing speeds of 109mph...

This isn'tthat bad!

Just make sure that you are leaning into those high speed corners Brian!!
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

I enjoy train travel it is way nice than air travel and the passengers are a better class. You can bring food with you and enjoy it. You have a decent seat and can get up and walk around, go to the club car for a drink or the dining car for food, no hassles at check in. In 2013 I left Florida by Amtrak to PA and enjoyed every minute and mile on the trip.
If you have never been on a train, just try it once you may like it.

Only rode on a train when I was very young...barely remember it. Might be fun @109mph tho!

tumblr_m9ep92k9qK1qasxjlo1_400.gif

I had no ide they went that fast. It took an hour to get to downtown Philly and that is about a 2 hour drive. speed has it's benifits.

Now I sit at the Manhattan School of Music biting my nails for my son...

Trains in Korea were slow and clunky but comfortable and convenient. Those in Germany Moved along unbelievably fast.

Brian, too bad you didn't get above NY. Up in Connecticut, they open up to an average 125 MPH on straight track and the ACELA pushes 150 MPH. :yes:

I was riding the train from Philly to Providence weekly during the construction of one of our vessels and it is a great way to travel! :rocks:

Our family vacation a few years ago was in DC.
Subway is how we got pretty much everywhere. It's not the fastest but beats driving.
I've never been on any other type of rail transportation but we may do a trip to San Diego by train this year.

We looked into taking the train to Las Vegas. Wouldn't cost too much, but the rail part ended in Arizona and we would have had to take a bus on to Vegas. We booked a round trip direct flight for $250 each, less than the train would cost. I guess the cost and quality of service depends on where you are trying to get to.

:beer: :salute: There is always that option. But this time, we're going out to meet our newest grandson, who is scheduled to see daylight for the first time around the middle of April. :clapping: :music: :party: :yahoo:

This trip seemed to be the perfect opportunity for a loooong ride (1700 miles one way), but the boss said she wasn't spending 3 days out and 3 days back on the back of a motorcycle, so we're flying.