running wild

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ludwig

Supporting Member
Reaction score
not in my wildest dreams did i think i would accomplish what i did.i bought this bike in 2011,i did not know what i was getting into.but with the help of the manual and this forum i found the hope and will that would get me motivated.when i got the bike i din't even know how to hold it up no less drive it on the road.i am a retired o.t.r. driver with over one million miles of road behind me,if i can't drive an 18 then i want to be on 2.well after replacing many parts and gaining a great experience i can actually ride it and enjoy it.the engine still has some knocks and rattles,but it starts and will run steady 55 no problem.i calculated my mpg to be about 57.6 m.i rode for about 800 miles in the last 10 days i have made a few minor adjustments to the idle but other than that it's running great at low speed the throttle is perfect.the brakes will stop you,what a difference new caliper pistons make.well as long as the rattles and knocks don't get worse,i am going to continue riding and enjoy it while i still can. :wave: :thanks:

Enjoy the ride and welcome to the fun. Running about 6oz of atf in the oil and in each tank of fuel may cure some of the knocks and rattles.

did you adjust the valves? change timing belts? ignition system info? how do the spark plugs look? synchronized the carbs? what type oil? compression test maybe?

i had checked and rechecked the valves and i don't think i can get them any better then what they are now.i took off the new barracuda belts and put on brand new o.e.m belts,all the plugs look good except no.1 which was a little bit wet.i put in top quality conventional oil,50/50 coolant solution with a boiled out radiator and new o.e.m. water pump no more over heating.new oil and gas filters,after market starter and fuel pump.compression is running between 150 and 160 p.s.i. the knocking and rattling happens mostly on first start of the day.i can start it without the choke,with just slight throttle opening it will run steady at 2000 r.p.m.s.till warm, than with throttle fully closed will idle steady at 950.taking off is smooth and shifting is perfect.at highway speed i run between 3500 to 4000 which is 55-60 with no problems.there is no oil leaking on my boots and it does not smoke at all.the Shinko tires ride great so far.i still can't believe i got it to run the way it is now.i think my wife sent some pics. to the gallery,not much to see, just an old 1980 interstate nothing fancy all stock.i think there is a pic of the throttle spring tool i had to make from a medicine bottle cap.it works!

that's all open road driving,i drove 115 miles avrg.55 m.p.h. added 2 .6 gal.gas after trip.that's riding solo and i don't weigh to much.the only problem i am having is on first start of the day.the engine will start without the choke,if i push the start button for 1 second it wants to start up with a little throttle. if i catch it just right it will hold steady at 2000 r.p.m.,but it sounds a little rough at first and smells like gas for a few seconds then it runs great.could be some fine tuning the carbs.but at this point where it's running better than ever i am going to ride.for as old as it is i know i'm not going to get it to run and sound like new,and i'm not even gonna try.it is what it is.

hey everybody,just checkin in.evrything is pretty good so far,i ha d a gas leak while on the road,i used the wrong hose clamps.i fixed while in a rest area and had to walk 2 miles in my chippawas to get 4 clamps.other than that the only other issue is the air bubbles in the fuel line.when i shut it down,i have clear hose's,i can see air in the line going in both directions from the pump.so when i go to start it the next day,i have to open the throttle have way then the engine starts right up.then it will sputter which is the air coming out i guess, then i can hold it steady @ 1500 r.p.m.s for 30 seconds it clears up and idols @ 950.on the road it does good.