sealed battery

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
didn't seem to even last as long as the regular 'add acid' battery I had,,, I can't find the paperwork but thought this was going to last years and years,,,... "maybe'' they will tell me the buy date when I get a new battery...

Thats a shame, you might want to check or install a voltage meter and see what your charging rate is, I wouldn't use the meter on the dash but something direct to the battery, even one of those LED(green yellow red) types would be good.
Overcharging would take some life out of it.

I bought a PC-680 battery less than 2 years ago and it has never performed a well as my other lead-acid motorcycle batteries. The PC-680 failed to start the 1200 last summer and I had to push the bike to get started. I replaced it with a lead-acid and haven't had a problem since.
It's not the battery cables because I run #4 welding leads as battery cables. The lugs are clean copper and soldered to the cables. I took the starter apart and cleaned it thoroughly, replaced all the grease on the gears, and bench-checked it before re-installing it.
The dashboard voltmeter (LED type) shows a constant 14V when running down the road. I check the acid level in the current battery monthly because 14V does evaporate some of the electrolyte. That's still better than pushing the bike to get it started.

IMHO, the PC-680 battery is not all it's hyped up to be.

Could be the PC 680 is talked up more than it is, some say they get 8-10 years out of a conventional battery too so who knows really.
My own experience with a agm from batteries plus, it wasn't a cheap one, died after a year.
I was using it to revive crank a motor that had been sitting for at least 10 years. I had the charger set on 12 amps so that could have been my fault. The 680 I have now has been strong for over 2 years.

Can't complain about my A G M's, 10 years was the best, 7 years was the worst. :nea: Think still have the rest, but one tests a little too low to suite me, :headscratch: has never given any indication of it being weak, when called upon to start a bike. :good: Will replace it in the spring, or early summer, as would rather not have an issue miles from home. :roll: Use it as a bench battery if it will still hold a charge enough to test stuff, :yes: if not trade it in when the new one is purchased. :popcorn:

A little off subject but have you seen the you tube video on using Epsom salt in your battery. Many claim that they get another year or 2. Gonna try my car battery in the next day or two.

Here is Steve's picture of the $60 AGM fitted to the Rats Nest back in 2013 which is still going strong but then it has never seen any real winters. It did sit in the export yard and wasn't run for 5months while being shipped back to Brisbane. With a couple of minutes worth of cranking ( I know you should only crank for 10 seconds at a time) with my manual fan switch turned on :doh: the Rats Nest only just started :yahoo:
Average life for batteries now days appears to be about 4 years in my experience so any longer than that is a bonus. I am waiting for the battery to fail in Ruth's diesel Forester as it is now 5 years old ( topped up the water in the cells again) but it is a Panasonic OEM.

Deka is a very good choice speaking from my experience, at a fair price. :yes: Odyssey's are supposed to be a great battery, :good: but more money, if memory serves, :headscratch: as looked around 10+ years ago. :hi:

Just wondering what name brand only last's 3 yrs? :headscratch: As the least gotten by me being 7 yrs, with Deka's :hi:

I've used the Extreme Magna Power ETX18L, they all lasted aboot 3 years. The last two I've had were from NAPA...first one lasted a year and a few months, the second one(replaced free under warranty) has been on there a little over a year now, iirc.
I have a thread on my Battery woes already here... :doh:

Sadly, NAPA ain't what it used to be! :nea: The Autozone's & the like, closed mom & pop NAPA stores. :crying: Went there last year to look in their box of connectors, to make up a harness for my 7volt regulator replacement. :whistling: Was told oh you must talking about something the previous owners had around. :shock: Were a parts replacement store basicly, we will order anything you need. :roll: Well I don't have any way to order those little pieces inside the plug, :headscratch: what's it off of & we will order you a new one? :yes: Ordered off the web from N J, so much for the old way to fix what you have, from the store down the street :head bang: