Seat issue

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldWrench

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know if my complaint is appropriate for the general forum, if so Dan can yell at me. Well the old girl needed a new seat, now many of you know I had to take a break from riding for a while. However I did buy a new seat from Saddlemen, I bought it a couple months before I had the knee surgery, I know so what.

Ok here is the problem, I know new seats take a while to break in, but this thing just isn’t getting it, it is hard as a rock. I first thought it just might be my old behind so I put the old seat back on, tears and all. After a hundred mile round trip fanny felt just fine. Put the Saddlemen back on, you guessed it, hind in not doing too well. :head bang:

Called Saddlemen, they said for nice big chunk of money could put more padding in it or a gell insert. I got my calculator out and realized I could have bought a custom fitted seat for the same money. :Awe:

I said all that to ask you fine folks if any of you have had similar dealings with seat people, or is it just me belly aching. :rant: :rant: :rant:

Actually this a rather common complaint. The firmer saddleman seat it seems most find uncomfortable at first but then most report it does support better. That it isn't that way for you just affirms that we are all different. Since the old torn seat suits you well. You might want to get it recovered and resell the saddleman.

Many reports I have heard that it takes a few long rides before the seat becomes comfortable.. it settles in and/or you get use to sitting on it.. firm is state of mind.. ride from Dallas to Hannibal MO using wooden beads.. and to Colorado Springs from Dallas and back both times.. and I used the beads daily going to from work for over 2 yrs.. no complaints on firmness

I have just the opposite with my Saddleman (or could be Travelcade) Road Sofa seat. It is quite a few years old and is too soft! There is little support for long trips where I need it. I use a 2" deep sheepskin cutout to help, but too soft is no good either.

I just had new panels put in my original seat over the winter, took it to a fab shop and asked for some new seat foam and the guy says don't think there is anything wrong with your foam (even though it's 32 yrs old) and suggested just 2 new seat panels, the old vinyl was just getting hard and for a very cheap price ( I thought) replaced them and boy what a difference. The guy could have made a killin on me but he was honest about it. :good: :good: He told me that he had guys that would kill for that original cover just the way it was.

Latest posts