Servicing final drive, lithium grease or moly paste?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to research the applications for this Honda Moly 60 paste much more.
After having it liquefy and leak out of the drive all over the tire (and I'm not the only one) and the dry splines I've about lost all faith in the stuff.

I've used other greases which stay put after 10's of thousands of miles. Something not right.

have others have miss giving about it ...saying its not good ...one thing about grease is cant throw it all out like thricker stuff some always remains in what ive seen on my bikes :mrgreen:

joedrum":2dmswuv8 said:
have others have miss giving about it ...

Yes!
In this earlier post thewhiterhino mentions the same thing happening with it oozing out onto the wheel and tire.
I'd be willing to bet the splines are dry looking like mine.

it would seem like any greese that doesnt get thin and run away, would be better than the moly 60.
I'm sure there is something that will stand the heat and stay put.
makes me think of the amesoil stuff I played with once.. it took huge amounts of heat and it stayed gel

I just went and checked I used
Valvoline DuraBlend Synthetic-Blend Multipurpose Grease
Product Features:

Use on disc brake wheel bearings, chassis, suspension, universal joints and constant velocity (CV) joints
Provides temperature protection from -10°F to 385°F
NLGI #2 GC-LB Complex Lithium EP Grease
Moly-fortified formula increases film strength
Meets GM 1051344, Mack GC-G, and ASTM D-4950 GC-LB performance requirements
Drop point is 500°F minimum

cant imagine the final drive getting hotter than 385...

is there anything in the service manual that specifies honda moly 60 for the final drive splines? I always figuered that was more of a antiseize paste
in general a multipurpose lithium based grease with moly additive would withstand much more heat than a general antiseize paste. I have used antisieze for many years and the general "grey" stuff isnt something you want to put much heat to... I used to have some copper colored high heat antisieze but I dont think Honda actually wanted this stuff in the splines.

Well I've let my fingers do the walking on the keyboard quite a lot today.

Here is what I've come up with so far.

On this site there is a guy says he works for Honda and supplied a MSDS sheet for Moly 60.
He says ThreeBond supplies Moly 60 to Honda.

Page 1 of the Moly 60 Data Sheet:

image.php

(All 4 pages are here in the gallery)

It is interesting the data sheet says only 15-20% Moly, I'm still looking for a good explanation why this is so and Honda advertises it as containing 60% Moly, or at least the name implies 60%.

I've also found another product by Loctite called Moly Paste which says it contains at least 60% Moly.
It's advertised as Moly 65 on the net.

Page 1 of the Loctite Moly paste Data sheet:

image.php

(All 5 pages are here in the gallery)

All these percentages are still somewhat of a gray area to me because the ThreeBond data sheet lists more ingredients than the Loctite.
Is that good or bad?

I found the Loctite for around $23 a bottle.
Expensive but just like the Honda Moly it lasts a long time.
The loctite is 8 oz. for $23 to Honda's $10 for 3 oz. so it may be a better buy.

image.php

image.php

More research to do.

I had a feeling it had Lithium in it, that's quite a research project you got going there, nice of you to go thru all the time and effort, you get an idea and you cling onto it like glue until it's resolved, I guess I'm not alone,,, nice work Dan..

Yeah when I get going on something I can't stop until I'm satisfied.

I would like to see an MSDS from a Honda dealer that says "Honda Moly 60" on it or at least I think an MSDS from HONDA would satisfy the question of Moly content for certain.
It's hard to believe Honda would advertise containing 60% Moly when it doesn't.
I'll try to call them tomorrow.

image.php

dan filipi":2pslyxs4 said:

I would like to see an MSDS from a Honda dealer that says "Honda Moly 60" on it or at least I think an MSDS from HONDA would satisfy the question of Moly content for certain.
I was very surprised too, it almost sounds like false advertising to me..Maybe I'll just mix a little moly 60 to my multi purpose lithium grease can call it good.. I'll call it 50/50..

littlebeaver":2f4nlclt said:
dan filipi":2f4nlclt said:

I was very surprised too, it almost sounds like false advertising to me..Maybe I'll just mix a little moly 60 to my multi purpose lithium grease can call it good.. I'll call it 50/50..

From what I read many guys add about a 1/4 teaspoon of Moly paste to the gear oil in the final drive to give it some Moly protection.
This also brings up a very good point and question.

They say Honda Moly 60 will mix with oil.
My assumption would then be if the final drive has a leaking gear oil seal and gets into the splines the gear oil could liquify the moly and "wash" it away.

That would be easily detected thru the gear oil level, it shouldn't go down at all, but if someone has a leak it will, that should be an easy way to tell..Do you think you have a leak Dan..

littlebeaver":1f537u2f said:
That would be easily detected thru the gear oil level, it shouldn't go down at all, but if someone has a leak it will, that should be an easy way to tell..Do you think you have a leak Dan..

Well what I was getting on the wheel I always thought was gear oil.
I just went out and checked the level in it and it's up as it always has been so the logical conclusion is the Moly 60 went liquid and that's what I was getting on the wheel.

dan filipi":36yzibfj said:
littlebeaver":36yzibfj said:

I just went out and checked the level in it and it's up as it always has been so the logical conclusion is the Moly 60 went liquid and that's what I was getting on the wheel.

I think mine is only the moly 60 liquefying also.. I shall use it no more.

I don't think my splines are dry, I put a lot in and this is about 3000 miles since I last serviced the splines.

thewhiterhino":702vogu7 said:
dan filipi":702vogu7 said:
littlebeaver":702vogu7 said:

I don't think my splines are dry, I put a lot in and this is about 3000 miles since I last serviced the splines.
I cleaned the heck out of my spines with brake cleaner, I sprayed it well and used paper towels and rags to dry it well, before I put the new Moly 60 on, and I was also very generous, in a few days my new shock will be here I so I will take a look at mine and also show and tell...great photo's..Now I'm wondering if I got all the brake cleaner out well enough..

beav, most brake cleaners dry out pretty fast so you should be okay.

Interesting, Ross.
That mess looks just like mine, what's up with that stuff running out like that!

Moly itself is dry so to make up Honda's Moly 60 into a paste other ingredients are added.
I think it must be those other ingredients that are liquifying.

If it is a heat related problem then perhaps a disk brake lubricant might work. At the Venture site they make mention of MOLYKOTE® M-77 PASTE
A synthetic high moly paste.

https://www.dowcorning.com/applications/ ... &type=PROD

Greater than 60% moly and a Service temperature of 450C. I don't see mention of EP but with 60% moly wouldn't it have to be?

Jorg

EDIT.
Actualy it sounds the same as the Loctite paste.

thewhiterhino":1bu5a0i7 said:

OK so I cleaned the splines with brake cleaner and finally used my pressure washer to get it all out.

That part looks good now but then I decided to clean the rear wheel, so I used the pressure washer on that and the carrier seemed to come off but the molly was left coating the tire and rim.

I have some tire and trim protectant and sprayed that. It just beaded up and ran off.

How about 409? Tried that and it also beaded up and ran off still leaving the nasty looking stuff on the time and wheel.

At this point I was considering gasoline and matches but tried MEK instead and finally that cut the mess. :heat:

When I find my tubes of Moly 60 I'll sell them cheap... :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

I just pulled mine apart yesterday. I lubed it up two years ago when I replaced my rear tire, and the Moly 60 was still in there looking good. Hmm? I wonder why there are so many different experiences.

Andyb":33m0o6xk said:
I just pulled mine apart yesterday. I lubed it up two years ago when I replaced my rear tire, and the Moly 60 was still in there looking good. Hmm? I wonder why there are so many different experiences.
I didn't have any of it slinging out like that either, but now I'm wondering if I didn't put enough?????? :doh:

Latest posts