Shifting troubles

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterDas

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there anything that commonly causes shifting troubles, I can get first and second, occasionalt third but thats it. I have a heel toe shifter, could it be just an adjustment? It doesent seem to spring back quite right. Are there springs inside the trans that break?

I had a heel toe (H/T) shifter and YES they can cause shifter issues and transmission troubles. The position of the fork on the H/T shifter in relation to the actual OEM shift lever is critical. Too far back and the shifter doesn't engage the gears properly. Too far forward and it can bind when you shift. Me, I took mine off and went back to the OEM shifter after I started having all kinds of shifting issues with 4th and 5th gear.

Never looked back and will not use a H/T shifter again. :moped:

I think heel toe shifters are a bunch of problems. I had that on my GL1800 when I bought it and it would miss shift. I think they are hard on transmission so I took it off, much better. Some people swear by them, but I don't like them.

Not sure. I had Wingleader boards and they were too close to the OEM shifter to not use a H/T shifter (I could not get my foot under the shifter and the floor board). If the OEM shifter is moved higher to clear the floor board, you may not clear the exhaust at the top for downshifting.

HT shifters are great on cruisers with forward controls. I had it on my Heritage before I made the switch back to Honda. In a more upright riding position with your feet under you like on a wing you just aren't going to beat the performance of an OEM shifter. It's like putting a HT on a super bike lol

There is a centering spring inside the front engine cover that can cause shifting problems like you describe.

I have Markland boards on my 1100, with a HT shifter, but it is NOT the kind with the fork that fits over the factory foot shift set-up that most folks seem to have. Ive only seen one other like mine. It has given me some troubles in the past, but once I finally got everything adjusted, and tightened up properly, it has been just great.
Here's mine....

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=139207#p139207:fq9y0xi3 said:
AApple » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:35 pm[/url]":fq9y0xi3]
There is a centering spring inside the front engine cover that can cause shifting problems like you describe.

If that $5 spring goes weak, and they do, you're in for a total stripdown of the engine to replace it, because of the stupid way the shift claw shaft is secured INSIDE the crankcase.

Honda engineers are clever, but sometimes...... not so much :roll: