Side bags with no lids and running out of ideas

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cervantes

Reaction score
So I have a 79 GL1000 with Calafia side bags.... Fiber glass... So perhaps side "bags" may be the wrong term??

Anyhow, nice wide boxes... But NO LIDS. I've been keeping an eye out for replacement lids, but they seem to be rare!

Last season I mainly rode my VStar 250, because of a few issues with the Goldwing, including this one.

I have thought about trying to make something.... Maybe a vinyl cover? But I can't think how to make it look right.

Or, i kinda like this idea, but they are not available and if they were, would probably be out of my price range... https://muted.muted.netdna-cdn.com/wp-co ... 24x597.jpg

So I am toying with the idea of pulling the side Cakafias off and finding eather bags or something like that. Maybe even replacing Wind Jammer with an all-clear windshield. I think this would make it easier to see the bikes original lines.

Anyhow, I'm still brain storming here. Any ideas on options? If I remove the current side bags I would need to find alternative blinkers to add they are built into the bags...

Thoughts?
Cervantes

I think Slabghost posed a valid option.
:builder:
Start with a 1/2 or 3/4" wide piece of 20-guage steel/aluminum (whichever you can weld best) long enough to go around the top of the bag.
Cut the metal piece to loosely fit around the top of the bag, form it to the bag curvature, and weld the ends together.
Get a piece of 1/8" fiberglass reinforced plastic (FRP) and cut out a piece 2-3 inches wider and longer than the top of the bag. Home Depot carries it for about $8 for a 4X8 sheet.
Using a heat gun, form the FRP piece to an elongated dome shape that fits the metal strip; this becomes your mold to make the fiberglass lid.
Temporarily attach the metal strip to the FRP dome.
Wax the mold several times with a canuba or similar quality wax to ensure fiberglass won't permanently adhere to the mold.
Lay fiberglass cloth and resin in alternating directions on the mold, making sure to squeegee out bubbles as you go.
After the first layer sets, remove the fiberglass from the mold and attach the metal ring permanently to the new top.
Before adding additional layers of fiberglass, make sure the first layer and ring fit the top of the bag.
Build up the new top up to about 3/16" thickness with additional layers of fiberglass cloth and resin.
Apply a thin skin of Bondo/body filler to the top, wet-sand to your specifications, primer and paint to match the bag.
Attach the new top with spring latches, hinges, old Honda bag latches, etc.

Yes, it will take some time and money (fiberglass & Bondo aren't cheap!), but it will be as good as you make. :clapping:

Tom

Purplegl1200I has the right idea... I would try to use alum flashing... cut it with scissors... I am going to make the rear pocket covers that always get broken off... It will take some time but,,, what is one more project... And proudly say "I made them" to those who ask...

Wow! Thanks for all the feedback. A lot to think about.

So on the hard side bags, has anyone used either of these styles on a gl1000?

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Vivid-Red-Motorcy ... nav=SEARCH

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Black-Hard-Saddle ... nav=SEARCH

If so, did it work well? Did it look good? I think I will like the look of not having the chrome "bumper" thing wrapping around the back of the bike... It looks a bit cleaner I think.

(I hope it is OK for me to post links like that. If not, let me know.)

I am also seeing soft bags all over the place on the pricing. I am guessing you just get what you pay for.

Dang/ I wish I could see these bags in person with my bike so I could better visualize what "works."

I did get my old bags off yesterday. It's kinda strange (in a good way) to see the bikes actual lines rather than just the look of the stuff bags. Really changed things. Also took off the seat s it needed done dust repair and recovering. Probably going to just get asaddleman kit.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep you posted...

Cervantes

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=172906#p172906:3mbkpo0f said:
Cervantes » Fri May 06, 2016 2:21 am[/url]":3mbkpo0f]
So I have a 79 GL1000 with Calafia side bags.... Fiber glass... So perhaps side "bags" may be the wrong term??

Anyhow, nice wide boxes... But NO LIDS. I've been keeping an eye out for replacement lids, but they seem to be rare!

Last season I mainly rode my VStar 250, because of a few issues with the Goldwing, including this one.

I have thought about trying to make something.... Maybe a vinyl cover? But I can't think how to make it look right.

Or, i kinda like this idea, but they are not available and if they were, would probably be out of my price range... https://muted.muted.netdna-cdn.com/wp-co ... 24x597.jpg

So I am toying with the idea of pulling the side Cakafias off and finding eather bags or something like that. Maybe even replacing Wind Jammer with an all-clear windshield. I think this would make it easier to see the bikes original lines.

Anyhow, I'm still brain storming here. Any ideas on options? If I remove the current side bags I would need to find alternative blinkers to add they are built into the bags...

Thoughts?
Cervantes

This might be worth a phone call: https://www.airtech-streamlining.com/vintage/saddlebags.htm

I did buy a set of hard bags when I owned a shadow... They looked good in the ad but when i got them,,, they were crap,,, and small... when buying bags... look, see, touch...

Agreed, have looked at pictures & when you see the item it look's different. :yes: Saddle bags are often so. :whistling:

I decided before I get the bags, I need to check with a local upholstery guy that I know... Need to see what he would charge to fix the seat and maybe make some "lids" or just upholster some that i make as you described. Probably will cost more than I can afford, but with checking.

My big concern with getting new hard bags is what a few of you mentioned. I worry that they will look good in the picture but be really cheap looking or perhaps just look wrong on the bike... Too large, too small, working shape for the bike.

To buy me some time and get me riding before I solve this problem, I think I will get some cheap turn signal lights and just ride with no bags for now.

I will keep you all posted if the anyone is curious.

On a side note, I may still get this black bags for my v star 250. They are very hard to bag because the turn signals are in the way... But it's the bars came with blinkers, that would solved the problem.

I wonder if those vstar signal lights would work on my Goldwing. I will check that. Otherwise I saw some cheap ones on eBay. Not stock but I think they would work.

As far as seats go, I may just get a Saddkemen King and Queen because they are cost effective and I believe reasonably comfortable... Unless the local upholstery guy comes in with a good price. I need to be able to seat 2 in comfort. Not crazy about the looks, but the other options I am seeing are about 2x more expensive. I am guessing the upholstery guy so be even more, but it is free to ask him about it.

Always an adventure!

Cervantes

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=173151#p173151:3oy0owa4 said:
brianinpa » Tue May 10, 2016 8:00 am[/url]":3oy0owa4]
If it wasn't an adventure, where would the fun be?

Amen brother!

Saddelman's road sofa with drivers back rest, is a good alternative to Corbin's, :good: since their price has more than doubled in the last few years. :evil: Great seat's, :yes: but way beyond my price range anymore. :roll:

I know you say you have been looking but to be sure but if your just searching Calafia saddle bag lid you may want to look for variables, some sellers wont know exactly how to list it and may not know the brand, look for
trunk lid"used",
side trunk lid"used",
a generic search of all saddle bag lids"used" ,
top lid"used"
all in Ebay M/C parts and used because it cuts down on the items and the chance of finding new is remote, its a bit more work but I find many folks don't list brand or exactly what it is but if you have something unique you can certainly identify it from photos.

Latest posts