Silencers

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooltech

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pulled the silencers out of my exhaust sounds good now maybe just maybe people will stop
pulling out in front of me I have had about 6 close calls I have pulled up next to some and asked if
they are blind.

cooltech":2pd3pdwe said:
I pulled the silencers out of my exhaust sounds good now maybe just maybe people will stop
pulling out in front of me I have had about 6 close calls I have pulled up next to some and asked if
they are blind.
My Stebil Nautilus horn will do a lot more good than any Wing without baffles! I like to blast them with the horn long before they cut me off!!

Why not just ride like no one sees or hears you? Pretty much no one will even if it's lit with a hundred strobe lights and running megaphone exhaust with no baffles. No one sees the big yellow school bus with all it's lights. Morons pull out in front of semi rigs lit like christmas trees.

I have the two stock horns and two Fiamm horns in my Vetter Fairing. Makes more noise that the exhaust system would. The sad truth is that until drivers care more about others than themselves, we will continue to have people pull out in front of us.

cooltech":1vyxn14f said:
I have pulled up next to some and asked if
they are blind.

Well...you KNOW they ain't blind, because you can see them starin you straight in the eyes as they keep pullin right into ya... :rant:

I have the same horn as Gerry.....it will definitely wake folks up.....and maybe leave a little poo in THEIR pants for a change.... :mrgreen:

Horn sounds good right now they do hear it but its not real loud but yea I thought about a loud horn before i pulled them out
also they are plugged somewhat But your right they don't see the school bus or bikes even when they look right at you

Do you think the cops might stop you if you ride that thing around town... :shock: I like it :clapping:

I have tried the smigsby, sp? maneuver. There are vids of it on the web. You see a car approach an intersection, and you just make a weave in your lane. I have had many cars pull up in a running-stop manner only to suddenly hit the brakes when I weave. It just makes you more visible. With conscious practice, it becomes automatic. Not good riding in a group, but by yourself it seems to work. Probably not perfect, but increases odds of survival. I do it particularly where you have blvds and people are turning in front of you. That is where I have seen a lot of bike/auto collisions. Intersections are also bad if you are a little ahead of or behind a group of cars.

Ekvh I will have to check that out I have turned my driving lights on and that seems to get them to
notice i turn them on when I see them start to move from a stop as I'm getting closer to them and I can
see them look right at me

As me driving the car I do notice bikes with a headlight modulator more over bikes without them so I think that's a good mod on any bike.
Loud pipes are worthless. The sound is behind you not forward where it's needed. A horn only does any good if you hit the button.
A bright yellow vest seems to help.

Link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqQBubilSXU

It's long, but you'll get the effect. I am finding that from a distance one bob and weave and they see me. Of course you have to do it when they are looking and at higher speeds that's not possible. I can definitely tell when there's a big bike in my blindspot if it's loud, and no loud radio in my vehicle. I don't think Goldwings are loud at cruise speeds, even open pipes are fairly tame until you get on it.

I have had this discussion with my Harley riding buddys several times.
They believe the loud pipes also help. I do not think they do enough to make it worth listening to it on a long ride.
Like Dan said the sound is behind you when we ride and I am in front of them they are not even loud enough to bother the music I am listening to on the radio and most people in cages have their windows up with the a/c on and radio playing.
Just my thoughts on the subject.
Jerry

slabghost":3bgw1mkq said:
Morons pull out in front of semi rigs lit like christmas trees.

four wheeler to my right decided to change lanes when right beside me :shock:

smacked the right side of the cab, then spun out and smacked the rear trailer wheels front axle :roll:

guess he didn't see me.. :fiddle: ..also blamed me at first :nea: said i clipped him :doh:

Latest posts