Soooo what do you do, if you break down...???

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danf

Reaction score
Ok. many of us go on adventures to Nowheresville, So what happens if you break down? In the middle of nowhere and you ride solo with nobody else..Do you call a tow truck, if so where are you having it towed...Honda shop to get your eyeballs poked out once you get their bill or to find out tuesday that they won't work on older bikes, what if its late on Sat. they don't open until Tuesday. could you rent a truck from uhaul and a trailer to take it home, or could you just rent a storage space in the nearest town and put the bike in it, go home and get your truck and trailer? What would you guy's do? I'm curious, Perhaps some of your experiences will help out the next guy..I thought of the storage room idea because you have a month or more if you wish to go get your bike..

Call a wrecker. I'm a member of the BMW MOA. Free 100 mile towing comes with the membership for a very small fee. Cheap insurance. That and try to keep up on the bikes maintenance.

beav, you already have some great ideas.

Anything minor I'd fix right there one way or another.
If parts were needed and late in the day I'd get a room.

Something major and depending how far from home I'd call my wife to bring the Suburban then we'd rent a trailer. She will not drive with a trailer.
I like your Uhaul idea. way out there somewhere could be cheaper.

awhile back I started a "practical tool kit" thread.
I still dont have all the tools I would like on the bike, but most things I'm confident I could take care of... other than those I'd use the towing insurance with gwrra or possibly even the gold book.

on a more personal note, I would probly check with friends first.

If I couldn't fix it on the spot, I would call the wife or my son to bring the trailer.
Hopefully I wouldn't be to far from home, but it more than likely will be the time your
out there in BFE some place.

dan filipi":3lzng6v2 said:
One thing is certain.... if you bring every part that could break and every tool to fix it
IT WILL NOT BREAK
Well, I guess I'll just have to put on a hitch on the bike and tow the trailer.
Then if I do break down and can't fix it, just call the wife and tell her to bring the car, I got the trailer. :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

When my '82 was given to me (Bad shape, blown engine, sat outside 12 years) I wondered the same things....what if it breaks down??? I had friends with Harley's that spent a lot of time getting nursed along in trailers so I had good reason to worry! :cool:

However, after rebuilding the bike and driving it around for two years with a motor that really sounded like a diesel because it was really worn out (we think :smilie_happy: ) and not going more than 30 minutes from home because I was always worried that the engine was going to just stop...blow up....explode...something (it really should have..considering how loud the noise was) but it didn't! :clapping:

Swapped it with a good '83 engine and I have learned that proper maintenance, respect for the age of the machinery and following the tips given here and I do not worry about breakdowns! (I know, not a humble statement...but I do say it with confidence!)

My opinion:

How old are the timing belts (and why haven't they been changed yet if they weren't?)
When you did the timing belts, how were the belt tensioners...singing from bad bearings?
Stator wires are soldered right?
Stator is charging correctly and voltage regulator is working?
Thermostat and fan are working correctly?
No leaks of any kind?
Brake calipers and M/C's have been rebuilt?
Brake lines replaced?
New battery?
Good electrical connections everywhere?
Tires are within 2 years with good tread?
Oil and filter changed regularly?
Air and gas filter changed?
Final drive checked, splines greased, oil level good?
Shocks hold air and fork seals not leaking?
Valves are adjusted and quiet?
Cables are lubed and easy to use? (although they can break without too much warning)
Clutch is adjusted and not slipping?
Carbs are rebuilt, not leaking down and synced?

If this list is done and everything is working....I just ride! I have confidence in the machinery. There really isn't that much that can leave you on the side of the road (short of flat tires from road debris). These engines are extremely reliable! Doesn't mean there cannot be a break down, but I personally feel confident that I could ride from here to Dan's house and back safely! :music: :salute: :eek:k: :party: :yahoo: :Egyptian:

GILLT":2k2pbefu said:
dan filipi":2k2pbefu said:
One thing is certain.... if you bring every part that could break and every tool to fix it
IT WILL NOT BREAK
Well, I guess I'll just have to put on a hitch on the bike and tow the trailer.
Then if I do break down and can't fix it, just call the wife and tell her to bring the car, I got the trailer. :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
I have considered that too... Maybe a small modification on the trailer...

Trouble was the only breakdown my wing ever gad was when the wife was with me. Now hoe is there to help. Carry a list of all your good winger buddies and hope you are close to one of them
:Egyptian: :Egyptian: :Egyptian: :Egyptian: :Egyptian:

toytender01":3aaics37 said:
Trouble was the only breakdown my wing ever gad was when the wife was with me. Now hoe is there to help. Carry a list of all your good winger buddies and hope you are close to one of them
:Egyptian: :Egyptian: :Egyptian: :Egyptian: :Egyptian:

are you saying you can fix most anything with a good hoe?

LOL sorry I had to say it..

:shock: ITS A GOLDWING!!!And a 1100 at that!! IT DONT BREAK DOWN. :music:

But for the sake of argument,GWRRA 100 mile towing,the "GOLDBOOK" and spare funds for a $1,000.00 truck to re-sell back home if its not easily repairable on the run is my backup plan.If your 1000 miles from home the wife thing isnt practical,especially if shes with you. :smilie_happy:

But again,Ive never seen a goldwing caravan with a chase vehicle,But have never seen even a small H-D pack with out one!!
GOLDWINGS DONT BREAK. :rtfm:

for 25 dollars a year i belong to rescue plus the will come a get bike and take it to wearever. got it through goldwing road riders assoc. of which i am a member. i know it is not for everyone but i can use it with my car or pickup were ever i maybe.

dan filipi":165g23lf said:
IT WILL NOT BREAK
and you wouldn't be carrying much of anything else. the last time i broke down in bfe and had to leave the bike a guy introduced himself and let me put the bike behind his barn for a couple days. i was working for a small produce company at the time. we had one truck with a hyd lift gate so i ended up switching routes with the guy that drove it so i could get my bike

It depends for me...I have AAA Plus and they will haul my bike as part of our policy. I do carry a very complete and extended tool kit (ahh, sidecars) and a number of small parts that the bike won't run without.
I am doing a solo trip in Mexico this fall/winter and I have some cause to think about it.....I have done absolutely everything on the rig I can think of to ensure it will keep running. I have a spare final drive and a spare prop shaft all boxed up for my wife to UPS to me should I need it....I will have brand new tires on the rig and will either carry one of each of the two size and styles I need since they are a bit hard to find, or leave them with Kit to forward to me if needed. I do have a spare tube along (only one wheel needs a tube) and a large quantity of tubeless tire plugs and patches. I carry a compressor, a battery charger and jack and feel pretty prepared....there is little I cannot do if I need to and Mexican mechanics and welders can be very good.....
All that and I have to say, that while I don't wish for trouble....some of the best times I have ever had in a foreign country was when I had vehicle troubles....most overlanders say the same.
It is the one time that you really have to rely on others good will and most people have a lot of that, no matter where in the world you are....
It is a bit different when you have no time schedule and can take life as it comes. I remember what it was like when I had a time schedule like most folks who have a job...wife does still...and that makes a huge difference.
So my answers are geared toward ol'pharts like me who are out of the workplace.
Another thing that I always do is only travel out of the country with something I can walk away from and just take what I can carry.....that would be true with this particular rig...I may have 8k in it but could not get any more than maybe 4k or 5k so it would not destroy my world if I did have to leave it.
Another option if I had to leave it is to leave it with a garage or friend in Mexico and come back with my trailer....so no worries...
Brian in NM

Well, I think most of you guys have seen my pull behind trailer by now, so.... I'm gonna throw out a idea here and I'd like your opinions as to if you think it's a good idea or not practical...it starts with 4" channel about 8' long, I'll get back to that, And a removable trailer top, leaving just the base plywood...Now my bike is about 8'8" long front wheel to end of lightbar so 8' of channel would be plenty, You would have to cut the channel in half to keep it in the trailer If a guy could remove the top of the trailer and bolt those two channels down in place he could use his pull behind as a emergancy trailer to be pulled by a pick up any place and time...The reason for the channel is because the rear wheel will be off the back of the trailer so you better have something really strong, the top of the trailer and all the stuff in the trailer will fit with ease into the back of someone's pickup without problem and you would have to install four heavy eyebolts to the sides of the trailer for your tie downs..What do you think?

Latest posts