Sparkplugs?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stratocat

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, after owning my bike for almost 10 yrs. I decided to read the owners manual. :doh: It says to replace the spark plugs every 4000 miles. I think I am overdue. :head bang: I noticed my gas mileage has dropped off some so I am hoping that this is the reason. :beg: My question is, what spark plug do you guys recommend for an 82 Asp? :headscratch:

That's a great price. Cheap Cyle Parts wants $2.99. I was thinking about getting the Iridium plugs but about $7.00 each is the best I can find. Is it worth the difference?

Thats a great pricequote="Placerville"]$1.84 each for genuine Honda plugs for your '82 here and only $1.75 shipping.[/quote]

In my opinion, no. But, that's just my opinion.

My '76 has Dyna ignition and coils. After a recent carb. rebuild (by Pistol Pete) and a valve adjustment, I decided to try Iridiums to maximize my performance. I set the gap at two one-thousands over as my hotter coils produce a better spark. (Bigger spark, better performance.) After installing them, I rode it for a week. The performance was excellent but, I didn't know if it was due to the Iridiums, the carb. rebuild, the valve adjustment or a combination of all of the above. So, because the factory NGK's are so inexpensive, I pulled my Iridiums and installed new NGK's. I rode it for another week and, honestly, I could tell no difference in performance between the two plugs. I even reset the Iridiums to their original gap but, that change didn't produce a difference.

I suppose if I were to have had the bike on a computerized engine analyzer with the Iridiums in place they could discern an increase in performance. However, to me, there's no reason to buy them. I sold the Iridiums to a buddy/member at the NGW who loves and swears by them and left my NGK's in the bike. Recently, I increased the gap a bit due to my coils. It runs just the same with no missing at high RPM's and I didn't notice a difference in performance or mileage.

In my experience an engine in good tune, good spark, good compression, and tuned carbs has no need for Iridium plugs.

I had an engine with a bad oil ring that would foul a standard plug but the Iridium never did.
They were expensive, about $10 each but on the other hand I have about 10k miles on them and they show no wear and the gap is the same as when I put them in.

I just scored 8 Champion RA6HC on fleabay for $9.00 and free shipping, the set of the same that I'm replacing have been in there for about 6 years, with what I'm told now is the wrong gap (0.025") now I they tell me (0.033") is best, but anyway, 6 years can't be bad! Especially considering that thanks to dan filipi's youtube video's I've only just found out how to sync' my carbs properly.

anything with an "R" in the number is a resistor plug.You already have a resitor in the plug boot,so using a resistor plug on top of that maybe too much considering the ignition system is weak as it is.i run non-resistor type from ngk(cant remember the number,but I`ll look),and the bike runs much crisper.

NGK D8ES;meaning,D=12mm tread dia.and 18 mm hex,8 is the heat range,E is for19mm thread length,and S means standard type. These work great and only cost 2 bucks a piece ;-)

I did see on another Wing site how to do a simple modification to standard plugs to make them generate a hotter spark. I am sure if you look you will find it. :thanks:

I did not know Honda recommends replacing plugs at 4K. My plugs are a year old and I use my bike to commute to work and ride it whenever I don't need the cager. I've had old girlfriend for 6 years now and have replaced the plugs 4 times. Could every 4K be a little excessive, or is this one of those "cheap insurance" things?

~O~

We are forgetting one thing about spark plugs. Back in the olden days when your car was serviced they used to clean and gap your spark plugs and only replace them when they were faulty. Now days the labour cost is so high that it is cheaper to replace the plugs than clean and gap them.

Ansimp":34dz14ee said:
We are forgetting one thing about spark plugs. Back in the olden days when your car was serviced they used to clean and gap your spark plugs and only replace them when they were faulty. Now days the labour cost is so high that it is cheaper to replace the plugs than clean and gap them.
If they were oily,heat them up on the kitchen stove & wire brush after :blush:

carl62cycles":3n7i0n8g said:
Ansimp":3n7i0n8g said:
If they were oily,heat them up on the kitchen stove & wire brush after :blush:
Is that what they mean by running hotter plugs. :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: