Speedo "high pitched squeal"

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n2ppn

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever have a speedo that has a high pitched squeal coming from it??

I just noticed that mine has a "jumpy" needle between 55-65MPH and I can hear what sounds like a high pitched squeal coming from the speedo..

I checked the cable out and even though it didn't need it, I lubed up back up.. haven't gone out for a ride yet, maybe after this post...

I have had auto speedo's do this sort of thing when they were real old and tired and the internal bushings were shot, but this speedo only has about 43K on it...

Should I start thinking about opening this one up and looking for the problem???

Rich

Mine does it sometimes..
Mine was jumpy also. That turned out to be aged, hardened grease at the shaft where the cable goes in.
I opened up the speedo and sprayed carb cleaner followed by compressed air. I did this several times to dissolve/remove old grease then sprayed lithium grease.
Jumpy needle is fixed but it started squealing from time to time. I thought it was my after market speedo cable which is sticking too long into the speedo. Replaced it with stock cable and squeal went away for a while.. but still comes back occasionally.
I am thinking about replacing the speedo now.

yes and shortly after that cant remember how long the cable broke and it was something in the speedo that frooze up .. never really looked into it just put another one on

Noise usually comes from that bushing right where the cable screws into the Speedo.
I squirted trans fluid in a few years ago, been quiet but now the tach is doing the same thing.
Might be time to rebuild them both.

I am currently giving the Rats Nest speedo a spray with silicon spray every time the needle starts jumping. So far I have done this about 3 times which doesn't bother me as I am spraying uphill with the speedo cable removed. It seems to be lasting longer between applications. Originally I thought it was a cable problem and I hadn't lubricated the bushing and this ruined a new cable in only a short while. So far everything is still working with the application of the silicon spray. :yes: :good:

Latest posts