SPEEDO NOT CORRECT

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooltech

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an 83 aspencade with the digital dash and when riding with friends we have noticed that
the speedo is not correct about five miles off ( reads 65 going 60) is there a way to calibrate
it or do you just keep in mind that it's not right or if I can find one change the pick up sensor

Thanks Ron :moped:

(Moved to Shop Talk/1100, DF)

honda ...idont think ever made a speedo that read right on any bike....makes wonder how they came up with the oldwings to begin with ....must have been purely by accident :smilie_happy: :whistling: :mrgreen:

You'll be hard pressed to find any speedometer that is really accurate. Close is about as good as it gets. Worn tires will indicate a different speed than new tires on the same setup. Changing tire size will also change readout. Holds true in cages too. The only time a speedometer is accurate is at a stop reading 0.

toytender01":2gwv64e6 said:
Is it supposed to read "0" when you are stopped.... Realy?????? When mine is stopped it looks like it is going 20MPH..... :Egyptian: :Egyptian: :Egyptian:
Everyone knows that the Black Wings always look faster! I can see how it would SEEM yours is going 20 MPH even sitting still. Mine always LOOKS like it is flying along at 65 MPH even on the side stand! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:

hay cooltech my 83 is the same way right about 5 miles off also so when it really counts like around the cops i use my gps lolololololo

toytender01":1u7d6uvo said:
Is it supposed to read "0" when you are stopped.... Realy?????? When mine is stopped it looks like it is going 20MPH..... :Egyptian: :Egyptian: :Egyptian:

There he goes showin off again :moped: :moped: :moped: :hihihi: :hihihi: :hihihi: :moped: :moped: :moped:

Hi Jimmy3262 that was my next step is to put my gps on and see if it is off by 5 and then i will investigate and see if
there is a way to correct it and I will let you know I think it can be corrected being digital I do it all the time
on cars and trucks :moped: :moped: :help:

I have the same model with the digital dash and mine also reads a couple of MPH out. I just accept it , live with it and , so long as do not try and race the devil , have not got a speeding ticket because of it.
At a true 30mph the speedo reads 32 and when feeling brave , according to my satnav( which shows that the top speed on mine is 113 mph ) the speedo reads 118 when flat out . At least it is constant throughout its range.

As post #3 says I doubt that ANY manufacturer has ever made a truly accurate instrument.

yea david mantle thats what I am finding out our honda dealer here is a joke so I need to go into the big city for things but I'm going to figure this out and see if I can correct it i think it can and it would help
a lot out there i looked at a lot of bikes before i bought this one because everything works i found a few that
the speedo did not work at all and had more problems than that some were just wreaks for a lot

Not being picky cooltech post#15 but what the f==k you on about. Your English ( American or otherwise) is just about comprehensible. :cheeky: :crying: :cool!: :head bang:
Maybe this is the new way to say stuff ( technocrat speak ) or I am dumb but I am not sure what you are trying to say. :music: :clapping: :music:

David I don't know what you are saying I'm saying i think that the incorrect speed can be corrected
being that it is electronic because cable speedo can be corrected by a gear reduction or increase
added into the cable. And my english is just fine.

The cable is electronic - not sure how you can correct it. The gearbox attached to the front wheel has a fixed ratio and since this is connected to an electronic pick-up I am a little unsure as to how this can be "corrected" It looks like you may have to either fit an alternative system that , similar to a bicycle setup , allows one to have an alternative accurate readout measured from a magnetic sensor via a computer which compensates for any variants or just settle for the inaccuracy that is built in to the standard system.
Sorry if my English is a bit hard to follow but this is one of the disadvantages of being born in the UK .

Not a problem david what I am trying to say is that in the automotive world which I am a tech there is ways to correct an inacrate speedo
I have seen some for the newer wings that plug in line to correct it what I am thinking why can't someone come up with the same thing
for the older ones if it can't be done I don't have a problem with living with it never had a ticket with it just saying that there has got to be a way to do it even if you have to find someone to build one that doesn't cost alot

My 82i with the original speedo was the most accurate Goldwing speedo I've seen. My 76 is the same as yours, about 5 off. The 82 was about 1 off by my gps until that one went south. The replacement is the same as my 76, about 5 off. The original was one of the 85 mph speedos. I've often thought I could get it closer by putting a 110/90-19 on the front of my 76 to get it closer, but, after 60k, I'm pretty used to it.

Latest posts