Starter

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David

Reaction score
Hi Folks.
Well I finally got my first ride in today , not very long but extremely satisfiying!
I also changed my starter today as well. The old one would drag slow seeming like a bad battery.
That is until it just began to make funny noises. My 86 year old riend said "I have one ." and off he went to get it.
In my repair manual it said : Remove engine. I thought ,No way! I read on this forum (I believe) how to change the starter. So , here's how I did it. The old girl on center stand. negative wire unhooked from battery, wire unhooked from the starter. I removed the shifter(one bolt) I removed the two bolts from the starer. After some wiggling I removed the starter. (The 0 ring seals it up nice and tight.) I checked the sproket and made sure it sat nice and even on the chain,then I positioned the starter and nicely slid the spline inot the center grooves of the sprocket. Making sure that it was in ,I put the two bolts back in . hooked the wire back up on starter, hooked negative wire on battery. clicked the starter button ,everything was fine. Replaced shifter ,checked all bolts , hit the starter button and the old girl turned over like a new one! Total time approximately 20 minutes! I bought my old friend and his girl a very nice supper to say thanks. I will have the old starter repaired and give it to my friend if he needs it for his reverse, he' s planning for his Shadow. I also put L.E.D. light bulbs in my fog lamps , Not as bright as the 55 watt bulbs,but certainly very noticable. I have two 35 watt bulbs I can use if need be. By the way the old girl is charging at about 14, It hasn't been that high since I bought it. Maybe I won't have to put an alternator on after all. If not I will have a machined crank pulley for sale at my cost.
I just had to share today's experience with you!
Best regards!
David

joedrum":3cs9ng1w said:
nice when it works out like that david .... a good meal cures a lot more than a hungry stomick in this case

Yes, and friends like that are priceless!

Glad you got 'er going.

Latest posts