stock radio on gl1100A '83

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

src68

Supporting Member
Reaction score
me again. i love all the info on here. i just hope as i learn about this bike, down the road, i will be able to help out someone like me.... :music:
ok, my next pain in the arse is..... every time i program the buttons on the radio, and then i turn off the bike (not disconnect battery, just turn the key off) it loses ALL THE PRE-SET STATIONS I JUST DID.... i do this every morning (so i can listen to music as i ride).... it is a pain in the pa-tu-tee.

the only thing that i think might also be important is that the prev. owner put in a 10 cd changer that is in the left saddle bag and is controlled on the dashboard.

any reason why i would lose the stations i program jut by turning off the key? :headscratch: the owners manual says this should only happen when you disconnect the battery....
any help on this would be greatly appreciative :thanks:

There are 2 fuses for the radio - one for power, and one for memory. Inside the left side of the fairing, check your wiring and fuses. You can access them by removing the pocket, or through the turn signal opening.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=87111#p87111:14dpze4g said:
Steve83 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:10 pm[/url]":14dpze4g]There are 2 fuses for the radio - one for power, and one for memory. Inside the left side of the fairing, check your wiring and fuses. You can access them by removing the pocket, or through the turn signal opening.

thanks for the quick response... one question... do you have a picture or something of the turn signal opening? prob a dumb question, but i am not understanding where that is. :head bang:
thanks...

I had the exact problem on my 82.Check the fuses carefully.I thought I did but missed the one amp.twice as its very thin .Looked good Then I pulled it out and it was split Have to really look hard.

Just an odd thing but I figured I would lose my presets when I disconnected my battery and removed it to check water level, after 10 minutes with no battery it still held the presets. I have had the radio apart and did not notice a back up button cell inside but maybe there is something somewhere.
Hmm.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=87152#p87152:1106vtt8 said:
wilcoy02 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:12 am[/url]":1106vtt8]The thin black wire is your memory wire. Your problem is definitly in the radio wireing.

ok... i have been trying to build up the courage to take this on this weekend. i removed the left pocket, and pulled out all the wires.... can you tell me which one? i took all of them out, and they look like the fuse is still intact. am i in the wrong area?

also, how do you get the fuses out of the 'yellow' holders?
thx

Attachments

• IMG346.jpg
    IMG346.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 130
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=88280#p88280:3a3o4g9e said:
zman » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:00 pm[/url]":3a3o4g9e]You know while your in there it wouldn't hurt to take a 12V test light and be sure there is power in that wire, or you can use a multimeter.

again... i am not that bright wehn it comes to mechanicall stuff. :head bang: I do have a mulitmeter (got it when my dad passed) but i have never used it. what do i do? and please stop laughing... :cheeky: my dad never showed me stuff like this or how to use tools like this.... :doh:

so i am a work in process like this bike. :swoon:

That will work fine. it should have Volts DC and then a range, your bike is 12 volts so choose the setting in that range . Just ground the black wire to the frame or anything that bolts to the frame and the red wire touched to the red wire on the bike with the clam shell fuse open you will see the fuse and at either end of the fuse is a copper clip that snaps on either end of the fuse, touch the red probe from the meter to both ends of the fuse one at a time and your meter should read 12 or there about volts, if no volts check the ground and be sure it is on a grounded surface.
Easier way..Go to the 99 cent store and buy a 12 volt test light for 99 cents , it comes with a wire and an alligator clip, fasten the alligator clip to the frame as you would a ground then take the probe end (usually pointed or screwdriver shaped) and touch the fuse clips at either end just as you would with the multimeter and it should light on both ends, if it lights or meter reads one end only it is a blown fuse...No light either end check for faulty ground first then trace the wire for a break or disconnect somewhere.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=88538#p88538:1044btyk said:
src68 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:47 pm[/url]":1044btyk]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=88280#p88280:1044btyk said:
zman » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:00 pm[/url]":1044btyk]You know while your in there it wouldn't hurt to take a 12V test light and be sure there is power in that wire, or you can use a multimeter.

again... i am not that bright wehn it comes to mechanicall stuff. :head bang: I do have a mulitmeter (got it when my dad passed) but i have never used it. what do i do? and please stop laughing... :cheeky: my dad never showed me stuff like this or how to use tools like this.... :doh:

so i am a work in process like this bike. :swoon:
No dumb questions.

Not everyone knows how to use a multimeter so we've linked a good video to watch on the references page HERE.

When selecting a ground for your test light I always like to test using the battery or a known good power source to make sure the ground is good and the test light works.

Not everyone knows how to use a multimeter so we've linked a good video to watch on the references page HERE.[/quote]

that video was very imformative. thanks. i didn't know one tool could do so much.. (check so much) :)

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=88552#p88552:2h1iioqx said:
zman » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:57 pm[/url]":2h1iioqx]That will work fine. it should have Volts DC and then a range, your bike is 12 volts so choose the setting in that range . Just ground the black wire to the frame or anything that bolts to the frame and the red wire touched to the red wire on the bike with the clam shell fuse open you will see the fuse and at either end of the fuse is a copper clip that snaps on either end of the fuse, touch the red probe from the meter to both ends of the fuse one at a time and your meter should read 12 or there about volts, if no volts check the ground and be sure it is on a grounded surface.
Easier way..Go to the 99 cent store and buy a 12 volt test light for 99 cents , it comes with a wire and an alligator clip, fasten the alligator clip to the frame as you would a ground then take the probe end (usually pointed or screwdriver shaped) and touch the fuse clips at either end just as you would with the multimeter and it should light on both ends, if it lights or meter reads one end only it is a blown fuse...No light either end check for faulty ground first then trace the wire for a break or disconnect somewhere.

i have something that i use to test if a light plug in the house has power to it... is that the same thing. it has a black wire,a dn a red wire and is connected to a little lightbulb that when there was power in teh outlet... (even though the light switch was off) it glowed. (father-in-law said that that means there is a hot wire)... if that is the same thing.. i will try that.

thanks for all the help.

Latest posts