Stovebolt carb

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterDas

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed the Stovebolt carb today, runs beautiful. The only thing I noticed was the choke housing was warm, almost hot to the touch. Is that normal? Or is it getting too much power with the full 12 volts. I tapped it in at the accessory terminal.

Thank you for the response Dan, I am glad is's normal. Bike really runs great with the carb as received. Thanks to this site I got the information to do it! I am very grateful to be part of it.

Here are a couple of pictures of the setup. The manifold is all aluminum, welded. I have no idea where it came from, but it looks good and works well.

Attachments

• IMG_20140525_184011.jpg
    IMG_20140525_184011.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 284
  • DSCF0442.JPG
    DSCF0442.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 282
  • DSCF0443.JPG
    DSCF0443.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 281
  • DSCF0444.JPG
    DSCF0444.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 280
Looks like one from Telly or eve the LDWingnut look, he built one very close to that. SO if I wanted to do the same on the GL1000, I need a converter, (where do I get one? For the 34 Pct 3 or for to a 2 barrel?) and the carb, what jets are used, what are the air mods, and how is it filtered for air intake.

Sorry, I am curious

The adapter and air filter set up came from Stovebolt, as did the carb. I have not changed any jetting, the only thing I am entertaining is a manual choke to get rid of the electric's power consumption. The other change I am planning is to heat the runners, not sure how yet, may just remove the heat shield between the engine and radiator.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=121404#p121404:i6qhyuj8 said:
PeterDas » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:17 pm[/url]":i6qhyuj8]
The adapter and air filter set up came from Stovebolt, as did the carb. I have not changed any jetting, the only thing I am entertaining is a manual choke to get rid of the electric's power consumption. The other change I am planning is to heat the runners, not sure how yet, may just remove the heat shield between the engine and radiator.
On my last long highway ride I found that having the 'heat shield' removed actually may be cooling off the runners and plenum.
My last ride, with the shield removed, temps were in the high 70's and the runners were cool to the touch.
They were hot when I had the heat shield in place during the same riding conditions.
I'm not sure just yet, I need to ride it more but the air blowing over the runners does seem to blow off heat.

I just bought one from him last Friday. I looked at the price on Thursday and it was $90, when I ordered it on Friday it was $95. lol I almost said something to him, but I'm not gonna squawk about $5. Looking forward to getting this carb on my 79!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=121792#p121792:2cxlm5nw said:
wbishop » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:20 am[/url]":2cxlm5nw]
I just bought one from him last Friday. I looked at the price on Thursday and it was $90, when I ordered it on Friday it was $95. lol I almost said something to him, but I'm not gonna squawk about $5. Looking forward to getting this carb on my 79!

My carb is doing very well, idling well and having no troubles. I am pleased with the performance. The only thing I noticed is it doesn't like to run when on the side stand, I suppose it has to do with the fuel in the bowl while leaning is not right.

Got my type 4 mani, grab bars, carb, fliter, linkage and assorted items en route, cant wait for the next week or shortly thereafter.

Latest posts