stripped rotor bolt .... redux

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crowesnest3

Reaction score
...... a follow up on my earlier thread concerning what I thought to be a stripped or busted rotor bolt on my 83. Needless to say the prospect of that bolt being stripped or busted was more than depressing; however, I would not give up that easy and damn if I didn't succeed! Was not getting anywhere using rachet to tighten, did put her into gear to lock up rotor from spinning just in case. Note to all: if you want or need to get into this rotor bolt with better access, PULL the battery box, lots more room! back to the issue, thinking stripped or busted I managed to get a pry bar behind a vice grips thinking I'd pull it out, what maybe recut threads, something? that didn't go anywhere. As one last WTF attempt, with the battery box out I was able to get my impact wrench set onto the bolt and gave it a good thumping and damn if it didn't set that bolt down and tight! Yahoo! Now, the bolt still protrudes out more than its supposed to and I am now thinking when previously the stator was replaced/fixed by another they did not set rotor completely back onto shaft? All I know at the moment is that she was running without noise earlier, the rotor bolt is now tight as it should be and my valves are adjusted ....... and took the opportunity to rehab the rusty battery box and frame area in addition to cleaning up all electrical connections ..... onto fresh fuel lines and new filter ...... Crowe ..... :Egyptian:

Nice! Hopefully all is well! There is very little clearance between the rotor and the rear cover, so even with a loose bolt, the rotor can't move out much. If the bolt is tight, and the engine turns without any binding, or noise from the alternator, you should be OK. Did the replacement cap screw in all the way?

Is what it is but cap does not seat all the way, actually cap I took off had the hex head removed and just a big hole letting rotor nut hang out? Need a new cap, been looking don't see one , what do we call it "rotor cap" or ? .... Crowe .... :Egyptian:

Is what it is but cap does not seat all the way, actually cap I took off had the hex head removed and just a big hole letting rotor nut hang out? Need a new cap, been looking don't see one , what do we call it "rotor cap" or ? .... Crowe .... :Egyptian: