Swingarm removal

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiri251

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello community,

Just purchased 82 GL1100A and in the process of rebuilding.
The shop manual mentions special tool "lock nut wrench adaptor" to remove pivot bolt.
Where can I get one? (and other special tools mentioned in the manual)
Any way to make one?

I did a search on "swingarm removal" but no hits so sorry if this is asked many times.

well there is a special tool for this and one can be made......i have a special two peice tool i use called a hammer and punch .....some times this can be real hard to remove ....ive got quite a skill with a hammer so this might not be the best option for you .....you can make a special tool out of a socket to match the cutout on the nut on the swing arm ......but its much easyer to notch a punch so that it wont slip and dig into the frame ......id just try the punch first unmodified it may move quite easy

that what i do

Welcome to the CGW forums, skiri251!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
I haven't done anything with my swingarm, so I can't help ya there, but there are MANY here who have removed them...they'll be along shortly to give ya some info. :good:

Thanks for the replies and welcomes.

My GL is in fairly bad shape. Well, at least cosmetically. Paint is faded quite a bit. It looks as if it sat in a desert sun/sand storm for a long period. The PO rebuilt the carbs, replaced timing belts and fortunately the engine seems to be fine (I rode 100 miles on freeway to take it home.)

I was going to paint only but noticed steering stem bearings were bad (very notchy). Naturally I am looking at the rest. So far I replaced stem bearings, front wheel bearings (they weren't smooth) fork seals and dust seals (tired looking).

Swingarm has chunk of rust under the battery (acid damage?) so I want to remove and paint it at least.

I haven't seen swingarm pivot "lock nut" and I was imagining something very complicated. I realize it's just a lock nut. I will try a punch and hammer first. If that doesn't work, I think I can make my own special tool. (I made one for steering top nut and wheel bearing retainer removal.)

at about where your heels sit when on the bike.. there maybe plastic black or chrome circle.. under that is where the swingarm pivot bolt and nuts reside... with the bike on the center stand.. and the rear shocks removed from the swing arm and final drive ... grasp both sides of the axle and lift up and down.. and then try left and right movements ( side to side ) there should be very little to no side to side movement and the swingarm should move smoothly up and down.. no catching.. think steering stem bearings notchiness.. if the area under the swingarm caps is clean and no free play you should not need to r/r the pivot bearings.. and if tire wear is even on both sides of center it is not tracking funny these should just need some lube added and be good to go.. Others may chime in here.. i have r/r a swing arm on another brand of cycle.. but never a Honda..

Thanks.

This is my first "bagger" and it feels a lot of work to remove rear wheel with hardbags and bumpers (although I already removed hardbags.)

I had a worn swingarm pivot on my CB750K (although it's a bushing not bearings) and my XS750 had bad swingarm bearings (taper rollar) needed to be replaced. Maybe it's just me getting those kind of bikes.. (i.e. beaten up ones).

It's part of fun so I don't mind (actually like it). :)