Thanks to CGW

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebro

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
2015 Anniversary Edition Goldwing
I just wanted to take a minute to thank CGW and all the great people on here. I haven't asked much questions, but got a lot of answers by searching the forum. I fixed a few things on my wing and the last thing I did was put seafoam in the gas, it sure worked like a charm, I thought I would have to take the carbs apart to clean them. I went for a 50 mile ride the other night and got another 60 miles in this afternoon and the bike runs like a charm now. This is all due to the info I got from this great site. Thank you again. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Roger

it's great when somebody who has ( Done It ) tells you how..... not I heard from a friend of a friend. :smilie_happy:

As I ride the highways and byways enjoying my Classic '82 Wing, I am reminded that there are not too many '82 vehicles still on the road. Just a couple of examples:
chevrolet-malibu-32.jpg
ford_granada_coupe_burg_1982.jpg

I am grateful for this forum to be able to do just that ....safely keep my Classic Wing on the road! :rocks: :thanks:

Pretty mooch everything I've learned aboot my '81, I learned here. I've managed to tackle a few repairs that I had second thoughts about until I got info/encouragement from the fine folks here at CGW.... :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Right on Dan! It's amazing how good these old 1100's are for as old as they are. Nimble enough to ride to the corner store, large enough to tour, pull a trailer, sidecar. Smooth, great parts availability and great entry price. Mine was a trade in at a local HD dealer, mechanic there bought it to flip it and make a little money, said that old GL1100 had things on it that HD was just starting to get into.

Omega man, what is it about ATF that makes it such a good fuel supplement? Does it cause spark plug fouling or smoking. I would suspect any rubber items in the fuel system would love it, but again, I'm lost as to the detergent properties. I was getting ready to add half a bottle of Techron to my next tank but have been wary to do so because I remember reading somewhere that fuel system cleaners were detrimental to carburetor rubber components.

ATF is good on rubber parts an the claners are don in porporchion than caeb leaners go...also today gas are strioed of all heavy oil content in todays gas ATF replaces some heavy oil content to the gas and counteracts some of the alcohol negietive effects of gumming up carbs on wings ....it may ake your smoke some on sart up ad whil running for awhile but its also cleaning it up slowly but surly there are no down sies to useing it.... :mrgreen:

With ATF, I get more low end torque, a cleaner fuel system, and quieter running engine. Like Joe once said, "if I don't add the ATF, she runs like I got a tank of bad gas." After a year of use in every tank, I can report no adverse effects.

O~O~

Just wondering, do you guys use regular gas or premium? I use premium in all my small motors, lawn mower, chain saw stuff like that. I have been using premium in the bike also, but does it make any difference on the older motors? Gas is cheap anyways... so I don't mind paying a little extra for the premium.

thebro":m02ruu3k said:
Just wondering, do you guys use regular gas or premium? I use premium in all my small motors, lawn mower, chain saw stuff like that. I have been using premium in the bike also, but does it make any difference on the older motors? Gas is cheap anyways... so I don't mind paying a little extra for the premium.
Regular gas is all that is needed. You can run premium, but I did not find any appreciable difference, just more money.

Premium gas is actually made to burn slower for high compression engines. For the uses you describe it has no advantage at all. A waste of money.