The 2014 Goldwing Continental restoration Saga

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverado6x6

Reaction score
Well a few loose gears finally decided to cooperate and it looks like its nearly confirmed that shortly after december 1st the Great Goldwing Restoration hunt will start, already here in Alaska I have an investor willing to finance our "Steel Horse Restoration" shop and showroom, its not a repair center nor a salvage yard. I have three Wings right now, two Ventures, well just check my sig, it can change on a weekly basis.

I fly out of Anchorage to Seattle to take over a 36' Class A diesel pusher that has been in storage, have found quite a few Gl1100 and GL1200 Wings around Seattle on Craigslist, so by the middle of december who knows what will be available. and some are under $1K, a few much less than that with issues, an Aspencade here and there. The plan is to get 6 older Wings, of that at least one Aspencade, any salvage bikes such as collision totals etc. maybe another Yamaha Venture.

I will depart Seattle and drive on down to just north of SF at Santa Rosa to visit my sister, seen quite a few older Wings in that area as well, if I need to any parts bikes will be stripped down and placed in the basement of the coach, it has a massive cargo area that could in itself haul smaller motorcycles whole or parts of bigger bikes. My other sister has a ranch east of Placerville where I will be for maybe two months, meanwhile I will be looking for Goldwings mostly the older ones that need work, I do not plan on paying much for any one bike, what I want is an inventory of 1100 and 1200 parts and to at least get 4 if not all in running shape, a tandem axle trailer can haul 6 bikes, I have seen some decent triple axles made from a mobile home frame, and they are rugged enough to haul behind a diesel pusher RV up and back home to Alaska.

Being a diesel mechanic and a driver of concrete mixers I won't have any issues on the road, I have driven that road three times, its hard on a vehicle no doubt, it will be in the last part of winter when I return but I drive heavy equipment during the winter, no big issue. Just not enough older Wings here in Alaska, all we have are Harleys and new Wings or touring bikes that still look like a Harley cruiser. I have people rushing up to my bike trailer at a gas station wanting to buy my latest Goldwing, and that was an 84 without any body. Somebodies chopper project I paid $50 for.

So anyhow I kinda thought this would be an interesting discussion or adventure depending on your POV, what type of a Goldwing deserves restoration? I may bass up anything built before 1980. I do want an Aspencade but not at $5k or an 83. I'll post pics of what I find, found some that have been in storage for 15 years, no DMV records at all, only $500 for that, an 81 I believe down in San Jose, Ca.

I have a 77 GL1000 frame with what I thought was a good title and all the parts from a 77 and 78 to make a complete bike. The previous owner signed the title over to me for nothing, but the PA DMV needs to have that signature notarized. The sad fact is that I can no longer get a hold of the PO, so in order to get this frame titled, I would need to file all the legal paperwork to have that frame considered abandoned and then I could file the paperwork to have it titled and registered in my name. :head bang: After looking into this, I realized that there are a LOT of other situations in my area very similar to this so there are a lot of parts bikes being sold because the titles aren't any good. Also while looking, I am seeing lots of 1100's for sale for less than $1500, so the market place on the East Coast is ripe with bikes that you are looking for if someone wanted to do something similar. In addition, the more I look around, more and more vintage bikes are being seen riding around so there is a market for restoring these old bikes and keeping them on the road.

Good luck to you.

Hardly any classic wings in Alaska so i am starting in and around seattle first.
Fill up the rv basement compartments first and then if needed a trailer.
The Alcan can be a darn rough road and i do not want to dtive through minus 60 temps so i may be leaving in nov instead. fly down pick up a couple of gl1100 or 1200 bikes pull the fsirings and bars drain fluids snd dlide into the compartments.

Screenshot_2013-09-03-13-04-14.png

This is down around Seattle right now, as soon as passport comes in I will be flying down there.
Must make it road ready first, new tires, a complete service, add some hid lights and make sure it can handle arctic conditions, as a diesel mechanic of a fleet of concrete mixers in Alaska I know what it takes to keep a diesel running or to start in sub zero temps.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=94761#p94761:qluigmvc said:
joedrum » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:45 am[/url]":qluigmvc]
yep diesel pusher and hooch id be set ... and ready to meet all on the forum :shock: :clapping:
Might need water wings to visit me :yes:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=94853#p94853:1ckv79d8 said:
Ansimp » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:41 am[/url]":1ckv79d8]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=94761#p94761:1ckv79d8 said:
joedrum » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:45 am[/url]":1ckv79d8]
yep diesel pusher and hooch id be set ... and ready to meet all on the forum :shock: :clapping:
Might need water wings to visit me :yes:
Haven't they built the big bridge yet?!?! :shock: :smilie_happy:

If things business wise continues at the rate i saw this summer i may be able to afford a trip to Oz and tour cross country.
No more classic wings left to buy in alaska so i have to hunt outside.
Hate to admit i may winter in Ca. plenty of oldwings down there.

00I0I_eERFXJQ0o1S_600x450.jpg

Just closed a deal for this 1995 GL1500 20th Anniversary Aspencade.
Got it at a good price, in fair to good shape, currently has no rear brake pedal so needs to be bled and dug into where the fluid went.
This one is here in Alaska so I may not get much riding time on it til spring.
But my brother in Modesto Ca is looking for another.

Now I gotta ask questions on the forums for a fourth GW, which BTW does anyone know if the GL1500 has a high point brake bleeder port say up around the steering tree? My 89 Venture has one, this bike has no rear brakes and I assume on a GW no RF brake as well.

20130907_175537.jpg

20130907_175556.jpg

Just finished picking up bike, rode it back on front brake only, plenty of braking there.
In the morning will pull front rotor cover and left luggage to bleed brakes, mc was full something isnt working correctly, hopefully its not seized up, pedal moves freely though.
Its a nice bike, tons of low end torque, balanced very well.

As anyone can see its a bit rough, been in an aircraft hanger, lots of scratches on rear trunk, missing the right side battery cover, I will be ordering the AddOn ao458731 chrome side covers from Wingstuff.com.
Darn battery cover for this bike is $350!!!!!!!
New ones will be locked onto bike, have a claymore under them and a drone overhead fitted with Hellfires.

Spent 6 hours sunday fixing all the little problems, first off went to Napa to get a Napa Gold oil filter, picked up some Peak Global lifetime coolant as well. Bike went up very nicely on its center stand after I pushed it on over a 2x6 first. While oil was draining I went into the brake issue, rear MC was full but no brakes, removed left front rotor shield grabbed an extra piece of clear battery overflow hose and a small catch container I proceeded to pump the rear brakes, but first I took the turkey baster and removed the thick vile sludge that was in the reservoir, with it now refilled with Prestone synthetic Dot 4 brake fluid I proceeded. If this was a newer Wing I would convert it to Dot 5 pure synthetic, which is incompatible with Dot 4, but it will NOT absorb water nor hurt any paint finish.

Was getting fluid from bleeder port but still no firm pedal, so I gritted my teeth and launched into the prospect of removing the left side trunk to gain access to the rear caliper, but wait.....Honda at times truly thinks ahead, they provided a cutout with a thin rubber disc about 4" round exactly where the bleeder port is, this one was held in place by dried out sticky adhesive, so now I know how water was getting in trunk. With my little 5/16 drop box wrench I cracked the port (its technically an 8mm but they are virtually the same size) and then with short fast pumps got things going, the MC and the reservoir are actually quite a ways apart on the 95 GL1500, if I get any drips on the floor then I must ascertain where along that hose route where the brake fluid was leaking, so far I see none, as to why no rear brakes I am not sure, bike has been sitting in an aircraft hanger for some time, tires were half flat, lead acid battery refused to take a charge, I had to borrow an AGM from my 83 Venture.

Finally the pedal firms up, I push very firmly like as if I had to literally stand on the rear brakes, I do this repeatedly so as to make the cup seals clean up any roughness in the MC bore. Just sitting the cups can shrink and that is where you lose brake fluid.

So brakes are done, I used two strips of Gorilla duct tape over the access hole in trunk as for now I want to be able to get to that port if needed, the OE rubber cover would have to be siliconed back on.
Tackled the non working speedo, simple fix, the lower end screw had backed off and the cable housing pulled out, I think it was deliberate by the owner to keep the shown mileage down, cable was very tight to turn, pulled it out and indeed it was dry, used a cleaner made for MAF sensors to spray in housing as it is safe on plastics, it also dries very fast, sprayed Superlube synthetic lubricant into housing with it pulled back up in a loop, greased cable after cleaning it with Superlube synthetic grease and worked it back and forth over and over to spread the grease and to actually thin it out against the same liquid spray in housing.
That all done reattached housing. Then I proceeded to replace a solitary running light on the center Goldwing red strip on trunk, after about a million screws I was able to get it pulled out far enough to pull the two plugs out to replace the small bulbs, I used #37 lamps. Replaced both, in the future I will buy or make an LED version. same with the side luggage, right now they do not illuminate, will be getting lighted ones.

Cleaned all the trunk and baggage release levers, had some loose screws, used loctite on them, lubricated all and put it back together.

I added some peak Global mixed with distilled water to -50F rating (Alaska coolant specs) and topped off overflow bottle, added a couple ounces of Seafoam to fuel AND also to oil, because of the fact bike has been in storage, this oil will only be in bike for 500 miles or less, then it gets Amsoil. ran bike for awhile but still no temp gauge, engine feels very normal, electric fan operates and shuts off, my guess is its a bad connection and not an air pocket I feared.

Cannot ride bike because of monsoon like rains all day yesterday, oddly enough diehard riders were out in force, saw over a dozen in a procession heading north riding in the pouring rain, and saw a double of my bike with a matching trailer, hmmmmm

Ended the day taking off a worn out kickstand, actually its the frame boss that due to lack of lubrication has worn down to a bevel, only cure is welding it back up and grinding flat, PO obviously was not into taking care of bike, no records, no added bling, just bought it rode it and when the small issues crop up its time to discard bike. Luckily for me I have ten of these discarded bikes, my fourth Goldwing actually, a little TLC and polish they can be brought back. I could sell this bike today for $6,000 here in Alaska even with its missing right side panel. Its gorgeous after I used some Turtle Wax detailing spray, took out the small scratches.

Next step is front fairing removal to chase down that temp sending unit and to replace some front running lamp bulbs, and to replace the timing belts for insurance.

If the PO had not taken off the battery side cover to either keep or sell (it could be simply missing) he could have stayed firm on his asking price of $2500. Now it turns out for that year, model and mileage the bike is worth $5,000, thats the going price and higher for nearly identical Wings here in Alaska. Either there is an issue in waiting or I am one lucky SOB to have picked this up at $1,000 and a trade.
Rode bike yesterday with my son who is bigger than me at 240, me at around 215, had nasty cross winds on the road at 35mph. Bike performed flawlessly, plenty of power, shifts like an automatic, no gear whine, good braking. We then changed bikes and rode two up on my 89 Yamaha Venture Royale, we both agreed the Venture felt better and handled better at slower speeds but the Wing was superior at high speed get up and go and keep on going attributes. Being a truck driver it gives me the impression of driving a Peterbilt tractor, thats just me though, I would still rather ride the Venture but if I ever need to ride a long distance with a lot of gear the Wing will be the bike, next up is looking for a trailer or fabbing one.

Just parked another "steel horse" in the stable, guy who sold me an almost complete set of body parts from a wrecked 98 SE a couple of weeks ago calls me up and wants to know if I was interested in buying his 95 Yamaha Virago 750G, I said I was interested but I had little cash to part with, so I worked around for a trade,three years ago I was given a free 85 4wd Blazer, engine was junk, body full of rust pockets, I gave it to my then 16 year old son, he assisted with the engine transplant a used 350 I had laying around, he did the all the bondo and sanding and we gave it a paint job, but he was in a foster home then, and its been parked since then, so I threw in a hot battery it fired up after a bit and the trade was done, so without leaving the state I have another bike, and this one is awesomely primo, very clean and shiny, low miles, PO threw in a bunch of doo dads and chrome to boot. My son has been terribly in love with the 95 Aspencade but I would rather get him started in something UNDER 500 pounds and not over 800.