the Blue Goose is ready to leave NJ and head to Louisiana

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerseydogg

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a throttle issue. Sometimes she runs perfect and other times she acts like she's not getting any throttle (although I have it wide open). I'm assuming that I loosed something up on the carbs (or throttle cable) when I pulled the motor. ( I just held the carbs up with bungy cords, I did not completely remove them).

If anyone has any suggestions at all, I would appreciate it.

The pictures are while still in NJ, but now she is in Louisiana.

Remember, if someone on CGW, needs to transport a bike, several bikes or parts.....let me know

Attachments

• 11aug15 nj to la 1.JPG
    11aug15 nj to la 1.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 139
  • 11aug15 nj to la 2.JPG
    11aug15 nj to la 2.JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 137
  • 11aug15 nj to la 3.JPG
    11aug15 nj to la 3.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 141
  • 11aug15 nj to la 4.PNG
    11aug15 nj to la 4.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 140
could be alot of things on the stock carbs but it sounds like slides hanging a bit ... these are vacume operated throttles and if there sticking some ..it makes no difference what your hand is doing on throttle it will only increase the air ,,witch eventually raises vacume witch eventually raises slides ...and then gas can increase .....id run some atf auto trans fluid in the gas about 6ozs per tank this might loosen slides some .....tapping on slides with screwdriver handle while running might also get slides working slicker ..

I don't see anything binding up, but it has to be, because: while idling, if I turn the wheel to the left the rpms drop and when I turn it to the right the rpms raise. Also the choke doesn't help the bike on initial start up. I have to lock it my manual cruise until bike warms up.

Things that had no issue initially.

well thats a sure sing of some cable sticking a bit if bars are doing that try lubing the cable with aft or somthing maybe spray lube from from the top at bars inside cable ...possible the choke flaps are stuck ...there spring loaded and feel like there working ... another one of those stock carb things that kind of hard to figure out ...

Getting the choke linkage free is much easier carbs out. A little penetrating spray and some manual persuasion will free the linkage. Try not to damage or bend any parts of the linkage.

Good to hear your moving forward with it, as been said check the cables..bet it is an easy fix but those slides are important too, I stuck my finger in the throat after assembly and checked that they did not bind and all had the same resistance before mounting them, if they bind they will usually do it at the bottom(closed) that is where they sit when not running and build an aluminum oxide corrosion if sitting a long while.
Good luck and let us know how it goes, good to know we have a transport available too...Thanks.

I seen the throttle cables actually moving when I turned the wheel, so I pushed them around in diffent spots until they stayed still when I turned the wheel....problem solved.

She struggles a little coming out in of 1st gear. I have to give her more throttle than normal and ease off the clutch so she doesn't bog down....2-5 gears are perfect.

I'm guessing this 1st gear issue is a carb (being dirty) issue because it was like that before I pulled the motor.

Now I just have to find the blinker wires. Another "easy fix" that's beat my up...lol

Found the issue with my blinkers not working....ready for this???? I unplugged the wires from the flasher so I can move the flasher and never plugged the wires back up!!!
I'm back on the road again!!!

RED BULL MY FOOT
MY HONDA GIVES ME WINGS (goldwings, that is)...lol

Slabghost , I sure it's somethin simple like wire coming loose. The bike's wiring is a hot mess. I knew I would have to rewire all of the lights, because there's wires going everywhere and even some going nowhere

Denver, yes the temp guage is working. When I first got the bike the fuel guage didn't work, then all of a sudden it started working. I believe sometimh is loose.

Next weekend is "requiring" weekend for the Blue Goose.