The case of the funny headlight

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jameskoopman

Reaction score
I have owned my '75 GL 1000 for just over a year. I have always had issues with not getting enough juice to run the driving lights and the radio at the same time. From what I have read here and other places, this is a common problem and can be remeded a number of ways.
However, my headlight has never really been a problem, until a couple weeks ago. It started out not working until I had opened the throttle up a bit. Then it would only work on high beam, now it doesnt work at all. I checked the bulb, and it seems fine. I also checked the fuse panel on the right of the false tank, they all look good. There is a cluster F of wires in the fairing from the P.O. I have no cluse where to star looking for the problem. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Ok you have a big task to tracr your problrm....But first make sure that the output side of the fuse
has 12V .. also make sure that the ground to the head light is good (dark green at headlight) the other 2 wires are the power lines they both connect through the dimmer sw the diodes, the resistor assy the lighting unit... looks like the power comes from the lighting unit or resistor assy.. there are tests in the electrical section of the manual to check each of these woops sorry the clymer manual i have for the 75 - 83 does not cover these tests you are on your own there unless the 80 manual will provide some info for those tests and still apply to your year.. dimmer sw may be a problem... Good luck :whistling:

The starter switch is designed to cut off power to the headlight when pressed.

This is a dual action switch which means when not pressed it makes a connection to the headlight so it's on, when pressed the connection is to the starter.
The contacts there can get gummed up and prevent the headlight coming on.

Take the throttle assembly apart and spray contact cleaner into the switch while pushing it in and out.

:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: Mine Too, Then handed me the bill.

Ok, so the headlight is back on , but today on my weekly ride up Michigan's fine western coast, my turn signals, horn and brake lights quit. :head bang: I am not mechanically inspired, so I'm considering just having the whole bike rewired. Does anyone know of a good bike shop in the Holland/Grand Rapids MI. area?

jameskoopman":by3k1c39 said:
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: Mine Too, Then handed me the bill.

Ok, so the headlight is back on , but today on my weekly ride up Michigan's fine western coast, my turn signals, horn and brake lights quit. :head bang: I am not mechanically inspired, so I'm considering just having the whole bike rewired. Does anyone know of a good bike shop in the Holland/Grand Rapids MI. area?
You'll get quite a bill for that if you can get it done at all. I suggest you check ground connections.

Check the fuse block.
Those glass fuse holders loosen up over the years.
On mine with everything on and bike running the fuses and metal holders were getting HOT!

I changed out the fuse block to a blade type.

I feel even less mechanically inclined then i did last night! Turn signals, brake light and horn all all on the same fuse. by some act of motercycle gods above, once I changed the fuse, they all started working again! It's a miracle I tell you !

It could be that glass fuse loosened up from the metal ends, can't count how many times I've had that happen and the connection gets separated inside.
Keep an eye on it and feel those metal ends for heat from a loose connection.

Latest posts