The Rats Nest is finally home in Oz

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ansimp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 “Rats Nest”
1998 GL1500c Val
1987 CBR1000f “The Pig”
1991 CBR1000f Red
I picked her up from the Port of Brisbane and used a mates trade plate to ride her home with a few stop offs on the way. First stop was to fuel up with some 98 octane Shell Vortex to be on the safe side as I had to leave less than a quarter of a tank of gas for shipping. It really was great to be riding her again and it felt so familiar even though we have only traveled 5000 miles together so far. Stopped off and completed a job so that put me in peak hour traffic for the ride home but I enjoyed every minute.
As you can see we made it up the dreaded driveway successfully.

Going up is always fine, I will let you know what it is like going down. It will be awhile before I have her plated and registered here. I really need to sell Red first. It only cost $500 usd ($600 aud atm with transfer costs) for the boat ride and packing but it has cost $1100 aud for all the government and importer fees :(

Glad you got her home Tony, shipping wasn't bad but the government fees, import fees are ridiculous, bunch of fatcats making money for nothing and sitting on their arses. Same thing goes on here in the states.

It looks right at home down there :mrgreen: Funny how you get used to riding a particular bike, when I first rode my dressed wing I thought ..."how the heck am I going to maneuver this thing". I was used to either sport or smaller bikes.
Get used to it pretty quick.
Congrats on finishing that chapter.

Thanks for all the best wishes. I know that you guys know exactly how it feels.. :good: :party: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :yahoo:

:clapping: :clapping: :music: :good: :clapping: :party: :yahoo: :yes: :clapping:

What a joy to see her at home - at last! It's unreal how much time has passed since she was being unloaded in my driveway. From Altadena to Claremont, back to Altadena, to Laguna Niguel, all over the western US, and finally to Brisbane - what a ride! Enjoy, Tony, enjoy!
:eek:k:

Bummer having to buy again what you already have but that is the way more often than not. It does make it most valuable to you than anyone else though.

Still seems unreal to finally have her home....
Rode Red today defiantly like chalk and cheese but I love them both...

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=110081#p110081:1m3s5l3i said:
Ansimp » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:46 pm[/url]":1m3s5l3i]
Going up is always fine, I will let you know what it is like going down. It will be awhile before I have her plated and registered here. I really need to sell Red first. It only cost $500 usd ($600 aud atm with transfer costs) for the boat ride and packing but it has cost $1100 aud for all the government and importer fees :(
Who did you use to ship it over?