Ticking fuel pump

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm on an epic motorcycle ride with my son, about 2000 miles so far. Right now we are near Deals Gap in NC. Earlier today I started noticing a ticking sound that I traced to the fuel pump. Bike is running fine. I'm 600 miles from home. Should I be worried?

Our plan tomorrow is to ride the Cherohala Skyway to Sparta TN, then home to Indiana on Wednesday. Timely advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20150622_192747.jpg
    20150622_192747.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 236
The 1200's electric pumps all have a ticking, clicking, sound. Chances are good you just never noticed it before, if its run well this far, your probably fine. If its louder for sure, than it was before it could be a problem. The only issues i've had, are one was leaking when i bought the bike, other seemed to not have the same power as my other bike. Pumps are pretty durable, & last a long time. You can always switch to a car pump as stock ones are not available at the dealers anymore, & are pricey when you find a new old stock one. Check the output when you get home just to see if all is well.

I made it home with no issues. I picked up an 84 Prelude fuel pump in Tennessee and had it in the trunk just in case. I noticed the clicking would come and go. My son in law said his started clicking loudly before it went bad.

Thanks for the advice

Good for you, :good: just finished switching the last if my 1200's over to the Prelude pumps today. :clapping: Nothing really wrong with my stock ones, one might be a little weak, that got me started. Seemed to help, plus all have more than 70,000 miles on them, the price was right, :yes: so preventive action seemed a good idea. All three bikes seem to like the new pumps, & so do i. :party:

Have to admit that chrome cover does look nice & shiny. :salute: Just not a bit ashamed of the fact that i have a car fuel pump, instead of a stock one. :nea: Really feel very pleased with the IMPROVEMENT in performance on all my 12's, & even more so about finding something better, for a fraction of the cost. :clapping: Made to perform better, in more adverse conditions, for a bigger motor, & fuel pressure is not too high for the mixers to control the flow of fuel. :yes: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder after all, & personally ENJOY looking at the BEAUTIFUL end result! :party:

When I bought mine 2 years ago the fuel pump clicked. When it got to where I could hear it at 45mph, I decided to get a new one from Honda. Kept the old one for a spare. New one is nice and quiet.

Their pumps work a long time, have had to put a new one in one of mine many years ago. When the new car pump performed SO WELL on my newest, replaced the others including the new Honda one now with 70,000+ on it. It NEVER worked this well, bike is way less cold blooded when first started, runs much smoother, stronger, sooner, than before, choke is needed hardly at all, never needed it on for long, but much less now.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=152329#p152329:1awvohle said:
Denver » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:53 pm[/url]":1awvohle]
Their pumps work a long time, have had to put a new one in one of mine many years ago. When the new car pump performed SO WELL on my newest, replaced the others including the new Honda one now with 70,000+ on it. It NEVER worked this well, bike is way less cold blooded when first started, runs much smoother, stronger, sooner, than before, choke is needed hardly at all, never needed it on for long, but much less now.

"Less choke needed" makes me think that extra pressure may be causing a higher float level and richer mixture. Have you noticed any increase in fuel consumption with the new pumps? With my earlier CBRs they come with 10mm fuel line and an electric pump. I always had a rich problem with the Pig ( carbies probably needed attention), on one ride the pump stopped in the boonies and I bypassed it and noticed that my engine idled better and didn't overfuel at 5000 rpm cruise. Later model CBRs did away with the electric fuel pump and just use gravity feed for fuel supply :headscratch:

No REAL change in mileage.Have been running it HARD, to see if it was a good thing to do to the others. You make a VALID point, wondered if too much pressure & be an issue, not yet, checked mileage, & 38-41 seems to be what i've been getting, about the same as before. :clapping: You have to be right about float levels in my opinion, & pressure has to be a little better but not a lot, it was made for a bigger motor that was used in harsher conditions, but not fuel injected, with not great but STEADY pressure needed, to keep car fed & performing well. Ideal for these motors, & would feed any single carb conversion very well one would think. :yes:Never thought a pump was needed when tank was above motor :whistling:

I was amazed to see 10mm fuel lines and pump. It is handy when you haven't run the engine in awhile and you forget to turn the fuel tap on early, with the electric pump the engine fires straight away :good:
This was Hondas foray in to true SPORT Touring so I guess they didn't want to take any chances and also the earlier tanks were narrower so maybe that effected gravity fuel delivery :doh: