Timing belt question

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, thanks for all the info, but that makes me nervous. although expensive, im probably going to take it to the shop. Appreciate the help and info on this question though.

The time I did mine it was my first time to try this.. I work on my card and thought I could do it.. I did.. we are only trying to.point out what to look for and avoid.. we have been there and blazed the trail pilgrim.. follow our lead. And most dealers will not work on the older wings anymore...

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=118720#p118720:3bk9dzkm said:
Joep » Thu May 22, 2014 1:28 pm[/url]":3bk9dzkm]
The time I did mine it was my first time to try this.. I work on my card and thought I could do it.. I did.. we are only trying to.point out what to look for and avoid.. we have been there and blazed the trail pilgrim.. follow our lead. And most dealers will not work on the older wings anymore...

The ones around here still do. though I hate pulling that much money out for something that seems like it is pretty simple but just time confusing. My biggest problem is always "If I fuck something up I have no idea how to fix it" problem. Until someone who knows what they are doing helps me, I am un-easy about doing mechanical work I have never done before.

The only way that you will become experienced is to do the job yourself :good:
As long as you wind the engine over by hand a couple of times and check that the cam gears and crank pulley still line up to their respective marks you will not stuff up. It will take you a lot longer but in the end you will know what you are doing and have saved yourself a $hit load of money :clapping:
It does take extra time to learn new skills :yes:

Basically it is 4 bolts, 2 half covers, to access the belts.. drain radiator, and take mounting bolts off remove bottom hose (this gives you room to see the pulleys), two caps.. one on top of motor above side stand, and one just like it at rear of motor... the motor will turn by hand with a 12 mm wrench on the bolt under the rest cap.Remove the two valve covers, and that is basically it. To remove the belts just loosen the two tensioners you will find on the belts. If you follow Roady's tutorial.. you will be fine.. take pictures for your reference.. and if you need help.. most of us are on and will reply shortly. Ask for contact info and we will do that too..

well it might be best to get help ... its easy for us who been through the hard knocks school .. if you not that mechanical it can be very difficult buck .. really use your head and make the best decision ...for the bike ... dont let us talk into messing the bike up.....