Timing belts

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooltech

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking about replacing the timing belts before next season bike goes into moth balls for the winter this week end so when replacing the belts is there marks on the pulleys and case for set up or do you make your own and is there a certain amount of deflextion for proper tension i see on the forms that you should replace the tensioners also. Don't know how old they are so I thought I should do them for since of secerity

well its not that hard but it sure a wing killer if done wrong ...marks there marks everywhere on the pulleys like honda was trying to crew things up with marks that distroy the motor...so look over all the threads on belt change and pics there plenty here somewhere before sttempting and yes tensioner do need to be set right....

AApple has it right. Octane's tutorial covers everything from start to finish with nothing left out.

The hardest part to changing the timing belts is removing/reinstalling the timing belt covers... Just remember to turn the engine through by hand before hitting the starter button: if there was something done wrong, you will feel it, but if you hit the starter button first, you will pay for it.

looked at the link that Aapple sent good link going to do this during winter was going to take to big city and have done but being a auto/diesel tech i can do it and save a bunch of cash. here in town they wanted 650.00 for a carb sync. bought the tool and did it in 20 minutes cost me 69.00 for the tool

cooltech":2iur2pnn said:
looked at the link that Aapple sent good link going to do this during winter was going to take to big city and have done but being a auto/diesel tech i can do it and save a bunch of cash. here in town they wanted 650.00 for a carb sync. bought the tool and did it in 20 minutes cost me 69.00 for the tool
No joke, $650!? Or was that a typo?

no typo they figure they are the only ones in town they say that the carbs will have to rebuilt because of the age of them when they are
adjusting them they will start to leak. I told them if they start to leak they messed up somewhere if they are not leaking when you bring it in
then they won't when they are adjusted so they tell you it's because of carbon on them what a joke have a friend that bought a new shadow
from them and on his first visit after 600 miles they check and make sure there is nothing wrong and do the first oil change and adjustments
they over adjusted his clutch the adjustment was maxed out and they told him that is where it works best there was nothing wrong with his clutch
after all said and done it was around 800.00 i told him that is an expensive oil change.

cooltech":1arvdl7l said:
no typo they figure they are the only ones in town they say that the carbs will have to rebuilt because of the age of them when they are
adjusting them they will start to leak. I told them if they start to leak they messed up somewhere if they are not leaking when you bring it in
then they won't when they are adjusted so they tell you it's because of carbon on them what a joke have a friend that bought a new shadow
from them and on his first visit after 600 miles they check and make sure there is nothing wrong and do the first oil change and adjustments
they over adjusted his clutch the adjustment was maxed out and they told him that is where it works best there was nothing wrong with his clutch
after all said and done it was around 800.00 i told him that is an expensive oil change.

This is why I have a problem with dealers doing the work on a bike. Some people will accept this bull shit answer and just fork over the $650.00 for 20 minutes worth of work that just required a few adjustments and no rebuilds. If they really knew what their $650.00 was getting them they would be furious. I guess in the end, if they want to pay that amount, they deserve what they get.

yes they do deserve it thats what you get if you don't shop around or find someone that knows what
they are doing there is a few dealers in the big city that do it for way less and a lot nicer so I don't goto them
not even for parts

Latest posts