Tire changing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rryman

Reaction score
I just changed the front tire on my 250 Reflex, and installed Dyna-Beads instead of wheel weights. I have taken the tire off before, using other tools, but the three iron set and rim protectors I got from Motion Pro are definitely worth the money if you're going to do much of this. Made the job much easier. Lubricating the tire bead also helps. Don't know what they use in the shops, but being an electrician, I used what I had available, wire pulling lube. Worked just fine. I suppose a number of other things would work equally well just so they are safe for rubber.
Tip on installing the Dyna Beads: After putting on the new tire and inflating it to seat it to the rims, let the air out and put the beads in through the valve (valve core removed, of course) VERY slowly. I tried it too fast at first and they got clogged up down in the valve stem. Putting them in slower did the trick. Haven't done a check ride to see how the Dyna Beads work yet due to our current weather conditions.
Almost all of the reports on Dyna Beads I've read have been positive.
Randy

Dyna Beads???
Forgive my ignorance...what the heck are they? Apparently some sort of tire balancing thingys? I'm intrigued... :read:

Its not just you AApple, I have no clue what they are either, :fiddle: I learned how to change tires by hand for Semi's at tech school about 8 years ago and didnt learn anything bout them

Sorry, but I "assumed" that they were more well known than they apparently are. I have been reading about them on the GWRRA "Motorcycle Tech" forum for some years now. I have been a member of GWRRA since 2005 when we bought our GL1500. Just joined this forum when I bought the 1100 in Sept. Anyway, here's the thread on them. Like I said, I'm only going on what I've read about them on that thread and also by talking to other wing owners. Costs about 25.00 here to have a tire changed and balanced if you take it to them OFF the bike, about $100 if they do the whole job. Since I have a garage to work in, if I take the tire off, I just as well change it myself. Don't have a tire changer, so to speak, but for now have made do without. Besides, with 3 bikes and a trailer in one bay, and the wifes ride in the other, it's getting a little cramped for space! (but could probably squeeze in another bike if necessary!!)
Also, I found a way to break the bead easily, at least with the scooter tire, which is smaller than a 1100 tire. I stuck it in the bench vise and cranked it down and it popped right off.

I got my beads from Venco Wings. I'm sure a lot of other dealers and suppliers handle them also.

https://www.innovativebalancing.com/
Randy

They are ceramic beads that are are about the size of the sprinkle balls for cakes and such.. similar to the hub disc with steel ball bearings and liquid in the ring you could put behind the wheel on a car and it would balance the wheel as you drove.. the force of spining makes the majority of them go to the lightest spot to balance out the wheel and "eliminate" the balance weights they put on the rims..

Link is here:

https://www.innovativebalancing.com/

Sounds feasible...I wonder about the beads and what, if any, wear they may contribute to on the inside of the tire while rolling around in there? I'm thinking it would be like running a bead blaster inside the tire the whole time you're riding! :?
Just thinkin out loud...I really don't know if they would do any damage at all... :read:

I tried the Dyna beads once in my front tire. They "seemed" to make a difference but it was very hard to tell.

What made the most difference was changing that Pirelli front to a Dunlop E3. I had it computer spin balanced and she just glides down the road.

I have dyna beads in my front tire which needs changed soon. It is the first front tire that shows no cupping by the time the tread is worn out.

Latest posts