Tires Again

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piper

Supporting Member
Reaction score
With all the talk about the Dunlop tires in the previous posts, I was just wondering if anybody has any experience or comments, good or bad, on Metzeler tires. The new to me Aspencade has Metzeler ME880 Marathon tires that look almost new but the person I bought it from didn't know the history on them. I have been around bikes most of my life but have never had one with Metzeler tires or ever heard much about them, good or bad. My 81 that I sold had almost new Dunlop 404's and I did warn the guy I sold it to about the problems with them mentioned here in previous posts.

Thanks

Oh no. Poor little thing.

Attachments

• kitten.jpg
    kitten.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 224
Thanks Chas, that was what I hoping to hear. Almost all the riding I do is 2 up at 65-70 mph and tires are kind of a big concern to me. I don't plan on doing any burnouts anytime soon.

I've used Metzlers for years, they are great.

More money but great riding and long lasting.

Got over 30,000 on the front I changed recently.

Gord

Just mounted a couple Bridgestone s11 spitfires on my "new" wing. seem to be a nice tire. Rear wheel was a bigger job than I thought it would be. OMG now I know why they charge 85 bucks an hour to work on these monsters. I mean there is no way I could change one out on the side of the road. :head bang:

Another bad 404...

Not sure if we can blame the tire though, this guy does not fix his busted bike, he's a "run it into the ground and get another" kind of guy. His idle runs around 2000 RPM to avoid(barely) backfires. It's a small Honda V-Twin with one brown exhaust pipe(at the head). He has gotten so many complaints re: noise/loud pipes that he has to coast it off the property before he can start it, and kill it while rolling to the parking space.

It's pretty bad though...btw, the Metzler he has on the back is fine, but obviously newer.

~O~

I ran 404's on an '85 Shadow for seven years. They never lasted long enough to develop any problems. 4000 miles were the most I ever got from a tire. They handled good in the twists and I could always find them cheap so I continued to run them. 45 miles round trip to work every day and I road every chance I could. I became an expert at changing those tires. :smilie_happy: They will not be going on my wing.

Omega Man":v1ybsj2n said:
Another bad 404...

Not sure if we can blame the tire though, this guy does not fix his busted bike, he's a "run it into the ground and get another" kind of guy. His idle runs around 2000 RPM to avoid(barely) backfires. It's a small Honda V-Twin with one brown exhaust pipe(at the head). He has gotten so many complaints re: noise/loud pipes that he has to coast it off the property before he can start it, and kill it while rolling to the parking space.

It's pretty bad though...btw, the Metzler he has on the back is fine, but obviously newer.

~O~
looks like a wheel of a vtr 250 .... did i win :yahoo:

Omega Man":2bhvy3ut said:
Another bad 404...

~O~
Those sides on that tire look suicidal to ride :heat: ,on the other hand he should lean that bike a bit to wear that tire even a bit more :smilie_happy: .I normally wear them to almost Formula 1 :Doh2: while being cautious on wet weather :hihihi: :shock:

Has anyone else tried the Bridgestone S11 Spitfires? I read a lot of good reviews on them, looking for a rear tire for my '83. Honda wants $137 for Dunlop EIII's which don't have near as many good reviews and the S11's are about $88. Leaning that way, lol :music:

Nibor":1blt7tbh said:
Has anyone else tried the Bridgestone S11 Spitfires? I read a lot of good reviews on them, looking for a rear tire for my '83. Honda wants $137 for Dunlop EIII's which don't have near as many good reviews and the S11's are about $88. Leaning that way, lol :music:
I have used Bridgestone S11 Spitfires for 3 years. My back tire got a little over 13K miles on it before it developed a tear in the tread (nail I am sure). The front tire is still on with just under 17k miles on it with about 1/3 tread left. I replaced the back tire with a new S11 and couldn't be happier! I will look for my post on the back tire for you.....

Thank you Mcgovern..... Looks like i will definitely be ordering the Bridgestone. :good: Also thinking about mounting it myself and trying Dyna Beads for balancing, some people swear by them.

Just my opinion but I wouldn't change my own tires, especially on the mag wheels like yours (and mine). The local shops around here charge about $25 to remove the old tire and mount the new one (wheel removed from the bike of course) and balance it plus a buck or two for weights. The last one I had changed several years ago, they even did it for free but I have been a customer there for at least 30 years and know the owners pretty well. Can't comment on the Dyna Beads and know very little about them. I do know the moving weight balancing theory has been around for a long time and has never become the norm. Again, just my opinion.

Those pics look like the year old Metzlers I had on my BMW when I dropped it off at the dealer to sell on consignment. The manager was quite taken aback when he asked about the tire condition and was informed they came from him thie previous season. He said not to worry about it, he would have a talk with the Metzler rep. All I know is I got what I wanted for the R65. Never heard anymore about it and picked up my naked 83 1100 the next day. Doubt I'll ever get Metzlers again though. Never had a problem with Dunlops. I get about 12 to 15 k on them till it's time for new rubber.

Latest posts