Tool loaning to help each other save some $?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
What does the group think of this idea?

I have various tools I'd be willing to loan out as needed.

Is this something others would like to do?

I'm looking for a cylinder bore gauge (hint)

I'm thinking the borrower would have a set amount of time to have the tool agreement with the loaner and the borrower would pay shipping both ways or to the next borrower in line with prior agreement by the loaner.

Gets complicated quickly.

It was tried for a while on the CB1100F site.

Gradually became more trouble than it was worth.

Gord (.02) Jones :head bang:

I think it's a great idea. If someone will use it and send it back right away things would be fine.. :eek:k:

dan filipi":o0o0zw4m said:
What does the group think of this idea?

I have various tools I'd be willing to loan out as needed.

Is this something others would like to do?

I'm looking for a cylinder bore gauge (hint)

I'm thinking the borrower would have a set amount of time to have the tool agreement with the loaner and the borrower would pay shipping both ways or to the next borrower in line with prior agreement by the loaner.

Did you ever get your clutch nut socket back?

I don't think this idea would work, as much as I wish it would.

Some things can be had from a tool rental place, and some local auto parts stores have been known to rent out specialty tools.

If borrower and lender are close enough to visit it can work. Shipping heavier stuff gets expensive quick. I really doubt that it can work for long and will lead to conflicts. One on one through PM occasionally might be ok.

Piper15T":23k8vvem said:
If you are talking about the telescoping inside diameter gauges used with a mic, I have them and you would be more than welcome to use them.

All good points to consider.

Thanks for the offer Piper. I'll check locally for rental and get back to you.

I agree Slabghost, I dont think it would work on an organized basis but one on one at the discretion of the lendor is fine. Some of my tools are pretty expensive and I would have to have control of who I lent them to. This case is a perfect example. $4.95 shipping each way and the telescoping gauges and mic are pretty expensive.

I won't let the guys in the shop use my tools....but I have, on occasion, let folks I've never met in person borrow stuff.
smiley29.gif

(I mean, I've loaned specialty tools out to some of my Corvette Registry buddies that I have never actually met.) So far so good, but sooner or later, the law of averages is gonna bite me in the butt... :builder:

Once I loaned out my skillsaw to a friend and it came back with a cut off cord , all he said was oh well sorry about that :Doh2: . Live and learn..Once I loaned out my saw to another friend and it came back with a unit of beer and a happy friend :eek:k: .. Never know about stuff, how about the guy that beats on stuff :shock: ..I've seen guy's hammerering on a ratchet to lossen bolts... :shock: I will say, most guys our age have learned by now how to use tools pretty well :eek:k: ... :wave:

littlebeaver":pp55wdby said:
Once I loaned out my skillsaw to a friend and it came back with a cut off cord , all he said was oh well sorry about that :Doh2: . Live and learn..Once I loaned out my saw to another friend and it came back with a unit of beer and a happy friend :eek:k: .. Never know about stuff, how about the guy that beats on stuff :shock: ..I've seen guy's hammerering on a ratchet to lossen bolts... :shock: I will say, most guys our age have learned by now how to use tools pretty well :eek:k: ... :wave:
Did you just call me "old"???

:lol:

I agree that while it sounds great, I like to keep control of my tools. If someone is local, just come on by and we'll get whatever done but shipping to an unknown? I'll pass.

And, no offense to anyone is implied or intended. I'm just sayin'...

I think the basic idea is a good one especially on tools that aren't used very often.
I'm a member of another site and they have a set of sync gauges on a loaner program that I used to do my carbs. The gauges they have is a set that was donated, and they have a tool monitor that keeps track of them so it is a lot of work.
The Negative a lot of people come and go on these forums and the honor system only works if your honorable.

Autozone can be a source for seldom used tools, I just used their compression tester and tools to pressure test the coolant system and radiator cap. :Egyptian: The deposit is actually the full price of the tool so they don't care if you never return it however, when you do you return the tool, you receive a full refund so it becomes a free loan. :good:

the available tools seem to differ from store to store but this is an example.
https://www.autozone.com/autozone/inours ... rainRepair

Good Idea..I have used a few tools over on the Steve Saunders site and the folks called me when they :wave: shipped..The guy running the program then sent me the name and phone number of the guy I was suppose to send it to so I could verify all the contact info was still valid..As far as I know it is working fine. :wave:

Steve Saunder's site (Goldwingfacts.com) has a tool loan program already in place. Not really interested in re-inventing the wheel.

They have a loan coordinator and several members have contributed various tools. You might want to check that out.

littlebeaver":2jcm58bq said:
Ok little beaver I see where all of this is going :headscratch: how about weapons loaning instead :popcorn:

Latest posts