Trailer paint

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papalode

Reaction score
Thought I should have done a new thread on the "paint" subject. Sorry about that. The issue is using the right paint for the cargo unit that is secured to the trailer frame. Not sure of the makeup of the cargo container. Guessing a type of plastic maybe. It does flex somewhat. Therin lies my concern for applying the right paint. I have seen plenty of them on the web painted to match the bike pulling it and they do look sharp. My old '97SE was black so I was home free on the trailer color. Now I am into the '83 Wineberry and painting the trailer is a requirement for me. So.....any ideas on the type of paint or potential prep of the cargo unit? It has a finish best described as a fine orange peel. Thanks

Everything I've read on the subject is, yes you can paint them, but no it will not stay on them. Haven't tried to paint one myself so I don't know if it will or not. My thoughts were, if you can find the right color in a "plastic automotive bumper paint", it might adhere better to these containers. Then you have the other problem, trying to find a paint store that can match the Honda paint code. I'm sure there are others, but colorrite.com is the only one I know of that says they can match it. Very very pricey though.

There's no reason why, if you prepare the surface correctly, the paint will not adhere properly. Consult your local automotive paint store prior to deciding on anything. They'll be able to sell you what you need based on your trailers composition and your expected results. I would also strongly advise you to have a 'bra' made for the front of the trailer. After your paint job is complete, tow your trailer to an automotive upholsterer and show them what you need. It will be a simple job to cut and sew a snap-on bra to protect the leading edge of the trailer. Without one, I can assure you that within 1K miles, your new paint job will look like it's been sandblasted.

Latest posts