Trailer Wiring Harness

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgovern61

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Former '82 GL1100 "The Slug"
I happened across a trailer wiring harness on ebay that is claimed to be for a '82 GL1100? I did not know there was a stock wiring harness made for trailers on these bikes. Looks to be in good condition and plug and play connectors.

Anyone ever seen this before?

image.php

It is for sale pretty cheap in my opinion, and I am going to have a trailer in the future. Just would like to know if this would be worth picking up.

I've never heard there was any 'stock' harness made by Honda, they never installed trailer hitches as far as I know.
Looks Honda made though with the bullet connectors. Probably just a nice job made up aftermarket.

Ya...looks like a home-made deal to me, but a dang good one at that. Plug and play! For $20 it would be a steal....prolly cost that to make one yerself. :good:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=110668#p110668:js7kfeht said:
dan filipi » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:04 am[/url]":js7kfeht]
I've never heard there was any 'stock' harness made by Honda, they never installed trailer hitches as far as I know.
Looks Honda made though with the bullet connectors. Probably just a nice job made up aftermarket.

+1, looks like it is home made, the tape looks to new to be an orginal. For 20, it should be a steal.
plus you have the bullet connectos already...i'd say go for it soon... :music:

$9.99 plus shipping ($7.99) for a total of $17.98. I pulled the trigger!! :clapping:

(Now, all I need is the trailer and hitch that goes with it! :hihihi: :ahem: )

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=110678#p110678:2q4hi2pt said:
mcgovern61 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:55 pm[/url]":2q4hi2pt]
$9.99 plus shipping ($7.99) for a total of $17.98. I pulled the trigger!! :clapping:

(Now, all I need is the trailer and hitch that goes with it! :hihihi: :ahem: )

With your rear bumper, it should be easy enough to fab something up to mount a hitch ball to it. I was going to modify a bumper similar to yours by welding a plate onto the bottom of it that would stick out past the back of the bike far enough to make a trailer hitch accessible. That all changed when I came across a deal for a set of "O-Gee" wrap around bars and a hitch that I now have on the 1100. It was easier to get out the check book than it would have been to do the modifications.

Good point Brian. I am not sure how the hitches are attached otherwise, but the bumper on this might work to accept a ball:

image.php

You can see the luggage rack/bumper attaches at the exhaust hanger bolt.

image.php

Gerry-
It looks like a nicely made harness...BUT.....you'll have to redo the trailer connector (whenever you get one) because they are ALMOST always a 'flat 4' connector. Just have that in your wiring plans for the future...

Looked at that harness photo real close.. unless your gonna rewire the trailer to a 5 wire configuration you will need run a 5 wire to 4 wire converter... blinkers on brake light wires... the converter is a smart box that runs the correct side blinkers... (picture shows 6 wires.. red white blue green yellow and black with white stripe).. it may have been on a Honda cycle... but my money is, it is a cage setup because 6 wire system is for electric brakes..

Good catch there Joe.
I completely forgot about the signal converter needed.
Could put separate turn signals on the trailer, which i think amber signals are more visible anyhow.

Not sure how you would plug that in to the bike without unplugging something to give you a plug in spot. The ground (green) wires are about the only ones that occasionally have a double connector with one not used. I use a smaller five wire plug and always add turn signals if needed as the "converter" units are unreliable at best. On my own bikes I prefer to solder in the wires going to the plug. You couldn't get me to use a "scotchlok" connector but I have had good luck with the "T" taps that also allow you to plug and unplug the wires from your stock harness. I also prefer to bring the ground wire back to the battery terminal rather than gamble on a frame ground. Whenever possible I change the flasher to an electronic unit. They don't care how many bulbs are in the system.

Gerry -
I think, in retrospect, you should just get a Hopkins converter and be done with it...the unit you posted a pic of looks rather old....a new converter with new wires will ensure miles of trouble free riding.....no electrical gremlins to chase down when you are miles from home...

I'm close to wiring up the bike side of my new Tag A Long trailer and I am still a bit confused about the wiring. The trailer is wired with a 4 wire flat plug. I am going to be adding a LED brake light to the top of the cargo box the same as I did for my trunk. But it appears that if I wanted turn signals separate (similar to the bike using amber) I need a different wiring setup?

The harness I bought last year is a 6 wire 6 pin plug.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=144058#p144058:2nhjd9iz said:
mcgovern61 » 35 minutes ago[/url]":2nhjd9iz]
I'm close to wiring up the bike side of my new Tag A Long trailer and I am still a bit confused about the wiring. The trailer is wired with a 4 wire flat plug. I am going to be adding a LED brake light to the top of the cargo box the same as I did for my trunk. But it appears that if I wanted turn signals separate (similar to the bike using amber) I need a different wiring setup?

The harness I bought last year is a 6 wire 6 pin plug.
You need something like this,
https://www.wiringproducts.com/tail-light-converters
48845.jpg

Gerry-
Correct! This is the converter I used; Hopkins is prob'ly the largest maker but there are others...

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-46255-Pow ... op?ie=UTF8

You WILL need some type of converter - btw; I was able to wire mine in and fit it under the seat... I'm thinking I have a picture of that somewhere in my Tag Along build thread...

:read: :read:

We must have Amber indicators here and have always had to convert any vehicle that uses the red stop/tail lights as indicators. If you are converting to our style trailer lights ( red stop/tail and Amber turn) I would normally use 5 core wire and your six pin plug as I always prefer to have a seperate earth that runs to the individual lights rather than earthing to the chassis.

Gerry-

My bike was just like yours and my trailer is just like yours.....
A 5 to 4 converter is what the doctor ordered....
Keep us posted!

btw- I'm wiring in a set of PIAA 1100X driving lights...

Latest posts