trailer

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motorhunter

Reaction score
I found a trailer that was towed by a 1200 wing for sale but it had no springs and 12 inch tires.he wants 550.00 for it.my question is does it need springs tohave a good towing aspect.and are the tire large enough to handle speed?

Welcome to the forums. Introduce yourself in the New Member Forum.

I have a trailer I put together from Harbor Freight.
It has 8 inch wheels and springs. It tows nice but I can feel it tug on bumps. It's stable but a bit unnerving.
On my first run my brother rode the bike as I followed behind in the car to watch what it does.
It does bounce but not much. The tires are at 20 lbs.

I have no experience pulling a trailer that has no springs but it seems to me it would be all over the road.

For $550 I hope it's a NICE trailer!

motorhunter":3h81jetk said:
I found a trailer that was towed by a 1200 wing for sale but it had no springs and 12 inch tires.he wants 550.00 for it.my question is does it need springs tohave a good towing aspect.and are the tire large enough to handle speed?

The Yugo had 12" tires, so I don't see that as a problem.

it needs springs in my opinion....the twelve inch tires are okay....i think the price is to much for a trailer built wrong ...it wouldnt be to bad if you had the means to fix it up with springs.....close call

Tell 'em he was an idiot and built it wrong :Doh2: :rtfm: and you'll give 'em $400 since it needs to be rebuilt with springs :builder: :mrgreen: :salute:

If I ever buy a trailer my first choice will be a, My Best Buddy Cargo Trailer XL. It has an all aluminum frame, torsion bar suspension, a 12" wheel option and only weighs 157lbs. Ebay item number 110600702953, check it out.

My brother bought one of those Harbor Frieght trailers and towed it around w/ everything & anything in it for years. Then he gave it to me.
I was at a friend's house and noticed he had a nice car top box, asked him about & if he would sell it. He said "yeah, let's load it up in the back of your truck before you leave." FREE! Wow! So I'm a gonna put the two together
and rig it for my Wing!
But the trailer does have 12" rims. I'll probably see if I can score a bigger set of rims/tires for it, but all I really need is to put the two freebies together for a decent motorbike trailer! When I towed it behind my truck I could tell it was hopping around a little, but of course, I didn't feel much 'cause the truck's so heavy. I would HATE to be out West somewhere & blow a bearing/tire! Good Luck w/it!

Mark, AKA the gingerbreadman

I am on my second trailor.
The first being a harbor freight/X-cargo homemade trailor with 8"inch tires and it was perfect in everyway.So I sold it for something differant. :roll:

The second is an old Born Free brand,also with 8" wheels,also pulls great.

I have noticed they both pull a bit smoother with a little weight in them,but of course why would you pull an empty trailor around anyhow. :smilie_happy: and I pulled the first on al over creation including a nice trip to north carolina with no troubles.

I would avoid a trailor with no suspension,and hes way to hi on his price.I didnt spend that on either of mine,and sold the first one(that I built for $200.00) for $300.00

Attachments

• bike 021.JPG
    bike 021.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 272
  • N.C. 2010 008.JPG
    N.C. 2010 008.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 269
  • DSCF0176.JPG
    DSCF0176.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 269
Y'know, now that I think on it, I have had several trailers w/no springs, and one was a trailer that I put all my camping gear in and towed it for thousands of miles behind several different vehicles, and it towed very well. 'Course, if I put some gear in it, it towed much better. But I have owned about 30 or 40 trailers over my lifetime, and whether they had springs or not, they ALL jerked to some degree when presented w/a large bump or pot hole. I haven't ever towed a trailer behind a bike, however! So I can imagine that anything towed behind a 2wheeled bike would affect the bike much more than it would a car or truck. Right now, in fact, I own five trailers, so if anybody needs one,..........

Mark, AKA the gingerbreadman

Towing behind a bike goes far better than you might expect.The only area of concern would be stopping,but I dont usually haul much weight.

Are you sure the trailors you are refering to had no suspension?Some have a torsion rubber suspension,but no springs to see.Anything with out a little give on michigans rough rodes is just asking foe trouble.

I will take one of those trailors,Im in the process of moving (more accesable house foe mama) inclosed preferred as I really cant get into the new house for a month yet. :Awe: :smilie_happy:

I'm not sure about springs and the advantages of having them but for $500, it better be some trailer.

I bought a HF trailer with 12" wheels plus a spare tire and mount for under $300...

I set it up to tote the bike behind my truck and if the truck breaks down, I can unload the bike and pull the trailer with the bike.

I haven't figured out how to hual the truck with the bike yet...

For a storage box on the trailer, I am thinking a pine wood coffin would work for being areo-dynamic...I might find a free used one if I didn't mind digging for it...=/

I have a Cycle Mate trailer with the torsioin bar suspension and that is what you might have. There are no "springs". My trailer has 8 inch wheels and it pulls great. The theory I was told on wheel diameter is that the larger wheels will probably be easier to roll but harder to stop. The smaller wheels will pull a little harder but will be able to be stopped easier.
There were two things I worried the most about when pulling my trailer behind and bike and that is to allow more room to stop and never get the wheel of the trailer hooked on something like a curb when turning, It could pull you over and put you on the ground. :shock:

Latest posts