Transmission Swap 83 to an 80

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that would make almost like the 83 ...thae only deal is first gear would be taller ....ithink that would be ok as long as the bike runs well and would have to in that gearing on first ...

but let me speak for the 82 set up as in gearing you have all the parts ....the 82 is geared well in my opinion ....its not nessarly the perfect touring 5th gear as some of the bikes out now and where all the touring machines went to ....but it aint bad by any means ....you will coming in there at 4000 maybe a little more at 70 mph ...and the roll on power is there big time ....the roll on power in fifth gear works good even at 60 mph where you can gunipast someone easy ....

i have the both 82 and 83 and ido like the 83 gearing better but thats only after i made the 1100 much more powerful in hp ....now it treats overdrive like any other gear ...in stock form roll power in overdrive not to impressive ...but it did have issue that didnt get fixed till i made it non stock....

the reason they lower first gear was cause they had too when they change the reduction unit on the 83 ....to me this would come into play on every take off from stop and personaly i wouldnt want that ....if you changed first gear also along with the reduction unit it would be fine ....but beleave me the 82 gearing can be argued to be the best in 1100 series especialy in stock form on the motor ....its fast and its gearing is more closer to the 83 than the 80-81 yrs and has zip the 83 dont have in fifth gear ....

the 82 has the lowest first gear of all the wings with its 16' as oppose to the 80-81 that 17' wheel and has decent hiway fifth gear ...isay your in a good spot to me and id go for it just like you are doing....thats my opinion :mrgreen:

Wow!! folks Thanks for all the great information I thought I was asking a simple question a few weeks ago when I started this thread. Thanks for all the great posts so far.

Hi Toytender01. I do like the Gold coast, so maybe there is some gold in me! I also like wings for bikes (and planes), so thats double golden for sure! :clapping: Its been awhile since I set the flag. From memory, it seems I could not find the one I was looking for. Might change it soon...but for now, its golden! :Egyptian:

I am glad so much could spawn out of your question, Ptatsoc. I think I am getting equal help from it too, lol. :yes:

Thanks for your opinion, Joedrum. Maybe I will leave things be. I am kind of glad you think it is a good combination of gears for the stock wing, since I am ready to seal the cases now. Its still a great upgrade from the old, :rocks: and making more changes could be a week out..

BTW, (just quickly) how did you increase your horsepower? Was it cams? Just curious how hard it would be to do..

slabghost":3i4au7ei said:
Not certain but pretty sure you need a #3 phillips bit. Be sure you turn the impact driver fully counter clock wise and hold tight when you hit it.

Picked up a Craftsman #3 impact bit and with a lot heat got both screws out! :clapping:
The cheapo HF bits messed up the screw heads, so I'll need to source replacements.

The 83 gears went in fairly easily and started putting it all back together. :Egyptian:

Motoman":2g855suv said:
I am currently rebuilding an 80 engine, and swapping in the gearsets from an 82.
_____
Greg - Motoman

Greg I have an 80 motor with transmission 60 Thousand kilometers = 37K US miles if you are interested $250.00 (shipping would be a problem)

No thanks 1060dsl. :nea: I am on the finishing side of the project, so I don't need the parts. Thanks anyway :thank_you:

Nice work with getting out the screws Beesharp. :eek:k: Persistence pays off!

Good luck on assembly. I just glued my two cases together last night :yes:

Maybe soon, we can compare notes on how the bike handles with the new transmission gearing :yahoo:

Latest posts