Tri-Magnum Rocket...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=143082#p143082:8m8dbmyf said:
mcgovern61 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:52 am[/url]":8m8dbmyf]
What if it was titled in NJ first and then sold to a new owner that lives in PA? :whistling: (I don't live too far from NJ) :hihihi:

That would surely work for trailers! I've seen a lot of no-title utility and boat trailers for sale in PA that could be registered in NJ and then in PA. PA knows NJ doesn't title trailers so a reg card and BOS is all they need. I'll keep you in mind if I see one. :good: :BigGrin:

As for home built vehicles I don't know how NJ handles them but you've just giving me the incentive to find out.

Quick look, it seems to be like PA's but does not tell me anything about how/where to get the special inspection. Maybe the process is faster in NJ.
Bills of sales for all parts purchased.
VIN number application if vehicle has never been assigned one.
An Inspector's Report, certifying that the vehicle is safe to take on the road.

https://www.dmv.com/nj/new-jersey/custom-vehicle-registration

I got this direct from PennDOT:
Specially constructed vehicles may have a bill of sale as acceptable proof of ownership (if no other ownership document exists).

SOooo if I'm reading it right, a BOS from an owner in another state would be enough to satisfy ownership if there's no title but the enhanced inspection is still required. The internet tells me most chopper shops are qualified to do that kind of inspection on motorcycles because they do it for their builds. It also suggests dealing with a notary that is very familiar with the Special Construction titling process and chopper shops usually know one.

Since motorcycles don't require DOT approved bumpers or glass, they are much easier to build. I wish states would loosen the process a bit to allow homebuilt bikes and trikes with less trouble. I think enclosed trikes are a great idea for super efficient commuters and errand-runners.

we had a guy on GWOF name larry that ran a car tire on his 1500 wing. problems isn't finding a tire that fits problem is the car tire is not as tall as the m/c tire so you have an increase of rpms

Wednesday, March 11, 2015
U.S. Senator David Vitter (R-La.) today introduced the Autocycle Safety Act, which creates the new classification "autocycle" for enclosed motor vehicles with three wheels. Vitter's legislation would set standards for autocycles under safety rules and the Corporate Average Fuel Economy Standards. Currently 26 states have enacted or are currently developing classifications for enclosed, three-wheeled vehicles as autocycles at the state level, including Louisiana.

"Creating this recognition for autocycles will ensure their safety, create jobs, and encourage the same entrepreneurial spirit that created motor vehicles and motor cycles," Vitter said. "This update to an outdated law will also help spur job creation in Louisiana, since Elio Motors has selected Shreveport for their manufacturing plant, and it will also ensure that imported vehicles of similar types will be covered by the same safety standards that domestic manufacturers will follow."

"Not only will Senator Vitter's legislation provide consistency across all jurisdictions, but it strongly supports his efforts to bring jobs back to the Shreveport area," said Elio Motors founder and CEO Paul Elio. "We are thrilled at Senator Vitter's efforts recognizing the need for a new classification of innovative, ultra-efficient platforms like the Elio Autocycle."

this company has been taking orders for yrs ....not one product yet ...its energy efficient alright ...seems they will never burn any gas ....and whats a politician doing involved now...... new twist to keep orders coming in....years now and not one delivery ....is what i see .....

id say this deal hasnt satisfied silverbullet

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=5449

They are behind schedule but it is making progress. They just dyno tested the Elio engine and it met expectations. When you're designing a completely new vehicle from the ground up you had better get it right because if the first ones off the line have serious problems you're screwed.

One of the hurdles this kind of vehicle faces is legal. In many states it's a motorcycle so it requires a mc license to drive and in some wearing a helmet. That's a big barrier to people buying them and makes a really limited market. If they get that out of the way so anyone with a regular driver's license can operate them it has a much better chance of success.

I want to dig up a copy and see what standards he's really proposing. I hope it doesn't require a laminated windshield and safety glass, that will make homebuilts a a lot harder to do.

Vitter's proposal isn't available yet but here's the Virgina law which I'll bet is pretty similar.
https://knowledgecenter.csg.org/kc/content/licensure-safety-and-inspection-autocycles-statement

It requires seat belts
You can't take the driving test in one.
It must use a steering wheel
does not require the operator to straddle
is manufactured to comply with federal safety requirements for motorcycles
2 headlights 1 tail light
approved face shield, safety glasses or goggles, or safety glass or a windshield
helmets are required if it is not fully enclosed
emergency or parking brakes are not required

Also it counts in Federal CAFE (corp. average fuel economy) calculations AND (here's the big part) a company that exceeds the CAFE can sell the excess as credits to other manufacturers. I'm not sure what the current CAFE numbers are but I guess about 25 mpg. Elio gets 80+ mpg so they can make money by selling the excess. That's potentially big money and encourages others to get into the market.

now your getting right chuck ....first job for this company is not to dc regulators ...its to build the product .... id say the politician is going to kill everything with sweet talk in front of murdering the who;e concept ....deception is a very powerful rights snatching weapon

I don't think you're getting it. This proposed law is to make it easier to build and sell a new class of vehicle by removing the question of it being a motorcycle or a car. Anything meeting this description is an "autocycle". It's not deceptive or snatching any freedoms, if anything it's clearing red tape to make doing something easier. How often does that happen anymore?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=39862#p39862:3kpmud9m said:
joedrum » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:28 am[/url]":3kpmud9m]
there are diffinitly people using cartires on 1500 the formoza175-55-16...dunlop wintersport...and also austone taxie tire also ...the reviews are great on this ...so if i were you id go for it :mrgreen:
forget the Harley tire if you are going to use an m/c tire stick with something for a wing otherwise go with one of the car tires mentioned

Latest posts