Tri-Magnum Rocket...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_motorsports

Reaction score
My latest project is a GL1500 powered Tri-Magnum. This reverse trike was a Poplar Mechanics project featured in 1983 - It gets wheelspin in 2 gears, does 90 in third, & goes down the road straight as an arrow. This is a truly Great Ride...

Attachments

• Tri-Magnum Rocket 004.jpg
    Tri-Magnum Rocket 004.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 898
yes thats cool how dose it handle in curves ....thats neat a wing motor can be the strart of all kinds of builds....seeing how i live on a lake a small boat is something im looking at.....

joedrum":4ciah056 said:
yes thats cool how dose it handle in curves ....thats neat a wing motor can be the strart of all kinds of builds....seeing how i live on a lake a small boat is something im looking at.....

Handling is far better than expected - It can do a wicked NASCAR burnout... Needs a car tire, but they don't fit on a GL 1500 rim - Something about a different bead and slightly different diameter. I've researched Harry Tarzan's beautiful Honda wheel mod, but can't afford it (@ $1500.00). Any Suggestions?? Is there a brand of cycle tire that has more of a square tread?

FYI It's not just a Wing Engine - The entire Bike (minus front fork) is behind the passenger compartment & bolted to a sub-frame that goes to a VW Bug front beam axle. I'm not sure why everyone doesn't build one, except that the body is hand-carved out of foam and it's labor-intensive to make. Someone should build a mold (with a sexier front end like a Viper) and sell them...

Bruce

there are diffinitly people using cartires on 1500 the formoza175-55-16...dunlop wintersport...and also austone taxie tire also ...the reviews are great on this ...so if i were you id go for it :mrgreen:

Omega Man":3i8xikkd said:
Welcome to the forums "m." Have you considered a Harley tire? There was one on the rear wheel of my bike when I bought it and it had a rather squarish profile.

~O~

I'll check it out - If anyone can suggest a specific brand that would be Great!!!

m_motorsports":3jd7777l said:
My latest project is a GL1500 powered Tri-Magnum. This reverse trike was a Poplar Mechanics project featured in 1983 - It gets wheelspin in 2 gears, does 90 in third, & goes down the road straight as an arrow. This is a truly Great Ride...
Would be nice with a propeller behind :shock:

Omega Man":189rt2tg said:
Welcome to the forums "m." Have you considered a Harley tire? There was one on the rear wheel of my bike when I bought it and it had a rather squarish profile.

~O~

Sounds promising - I wonder why so my folks say it can't be done?

I WANT ONE! Ever since I got that issue in 83 I've been fascinated with reverse trikes. There are probably a few body parts or internal organs I'd sell to get one! I'd build one but here in PA getting a homebuilt vehicle legal is a major PITA. A Goldwing drivetrain is just about perfect for it. Strong, low profile, shaft drive, and liquid cooled for heat. Fortunately reverse trikes are finally being sold commercially by a few companies.
https://www.extreme-scooters.com/KD-250MD-viper-reverse-trike.htm
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Goldwing-Reverse-Trike/389393187817179
https://reversetrike.com/t-rex.html
I'm watching the Elio like a hawk. Hopefully it will be available next year. https://www.eliomotors.com/
They have 40,000 deposits to buy them. A friend is on the presale list and will get one. I can't wait to try it.

well building one is the only way id do it .....and to me its just not that hard with a oldwing start on things ...if your state sucks with your rights then register it somewhere else ....there are states that still respect rights for the people to build there own stuff...

i have a Michelin Alpin run flat on my bike - many of us who ride 1800's have gone to this tire. Something you might want to consider.....most of us "Darksiders" really like the tire.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=143022#p143022:345cjxjh said:
joedrum » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:32 am[/url]":345cjxjh]
well building one is the only way id do it .....and to me its just not that hard with a oldwing start on things ...if your state sucks with your rights then register it somewhere else ....there are states that still respect rights for the people to build there own stuff...

That would require a cooperative person willing to own it in a state that does and neither bordering state near me is much better as far as I know. This part of the country in general doesn't like homebuilt vehicles. It's a relic of 1940s-60s vehicle theft and chopping. The flip side of PA's stringent vehicle titling laws is you can be pretty darned sure if you have a PA titled vehicle, that title is good and the vehicle is squeaky clean.

You have to document all major materials used, show receipts for purchases and welding, and submit to a special mechanical inspection. If you weld it yourself you should probably be a certified welder and even showing pictures of it under construction helps prove you didn't just "find" it. Even building a trailer requires receipts for steel, axle, and tires. NJ doesn't even title small trailers!

Getting a new title for an abandoned vehicle is similarly difficult for the same reasons but not quite so bad. That takes months.

To make a reverse trike you'd at least need title to the bike frame, receipts for most of the materials, and about a year and a half of patience after it's finished to go through the required paperwork and inspections. And trikes are much easier than a 4-wheeler!

Latest posts