Triple Tree bearing R&R What is the Trick

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTATSOC

Reaction score
My Bike Models
Burgundy 1980,1,2,3 Goldwing and a Black 1981 Goldwing
I must not be searching for the correct thing, there has to be some information on how to remove and replace the Triple Tree/Steering stem bearings. I'm replacing an 80 front end with an 83 front end and I want to install new bearings. The wonderful Service manual just says remove the bearings no tips or tricks. The outer races a pain but not that difficult nor the top bearing but that bottom one, WHAT IS the TRICK to getting it off with out having to cut it off. Also what is recommended for seating the races the lower one and the inner races in the frame stem. No I do not have any of the over priced Honda tools.
Thanks for any help in advance. I know there are Pro's out there that have done plenty of these without a problem. :thanks:

The bottom race has a little recess that Honda did design to get that bearing out. It isn't much, but using a punch long enough to go in from the top, it will go. I used a punch that had a mushroomed end one time with success. Another time it was a tire iron with a curved end. Be patient and work in a circular fashion and it will come. If you have access to a welder, I'm told welding a short bead right to the race will cause it to shrink and almost fall out. Good reading here from Mike Nixon: https://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorc ... cking.html

Before installing the new races put them in the freezer over night if you can. A few hours at least. Then just before install take a heat gun and warm up the neck. Then take your frozen races and install them. They will go in much easier. I use a bearing driver to do mine. You can sometimes use the old race to drive in the new one.

The outer races aren't difficult with patience, a long drift, and a hammer. Keeping them straight is most important, and make sure that they're fully seated. The lower bearing and inner race is a challenge to remove, with the seal in the way. I destroyed the seal with a chisel, then was able to slowly drive the bearing up and off, using a drift and working from side to side. A piece of pipe drives the new bearing on easily.

Well sometimes things can go right, I tried the punch trick on the lower race the one on the tree, it would not budge, so decided to cut it off with a dremel tool and got lucky half way through the race it cracked and it only took a few taps to remove it. will not get into the neck until next week end, still have to take the 80 apart but the 83 front end is almost ready to go.
Thanks for all the help so far.

To install the bearing on the stem put the stem in the freezer. Then warm the bearing up. Just the opposite of the neck bearing races.

Latest posts