Two plugs broken off in the head

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
slabghost":3unyzj2k said:
Did you get the busted plugs out okay?
Yes I got one all the way out but only got 3/4's of the second. I had to drill and tap and install a heli-coil. I will now have 3 12mm plugs ans one 14mm plug of the same heat range. I can't see it making a difference except to the "purist clique" of which I'm not a member. No one locally had a heli-coil for a 12mm x 1.25. I do wish they had but I've spent way too much time on all four plugs. I like to count my time in minutes and hours NOT days.

Sounds like that'll work. At some future date you can install what I think is called a timesert? It's similar in function to the helicoil but thicker like a sleeve.

slabghost":3l1cju8v said:
Sounds like that'll work. At some future date you can install what I think is called a timesert? It's similar in function to the helicoil but thicker like a sleeve.
I found out about those Wurth Time Serts a tad too late. I did notice that Time Sert is very proud of their kits (Over a hundred dollars)

slabghost":1w5icmiv said:
Have you gotten it running?
Not yet. I still have to change the oil and filter. I looked into the gas tank and there was zero rust. I'm hoping he drained the tank and ran the bowls dry. I still need to buy a battery as well. It shouldn't be long before I'll know something about whether it runs or not.

You know I could pull the battery from another bike and slap some fuel in but I don't want to regret getting in a hurry and screw something up that could have been avoided by taking my time.

Take your time Bert. Just hurry up about it! :smilie_happy: Sure wish I could be your neighbor and escape some of the cold up here.

slabghost":2x7lpfye said:
Take your time Bert. Just hurry up about it! :smilie_happy: Sure wish I could be your neighbor and escape some of the cold up here.
I hear you. We have four distinct seasons and none are very bad. In Winter we hardly ever have snow...then not much. It's gets pretty warm in the Summer mainly due to humidity. Spring and Autumn are the best.

I can't get into too big a hurry as I don't have the funds readily available.

Did you use an easy out to get the one out?

I can already see myself going there with my 1100. The plug wells are pretty nasty so I'm sure I'm going to break one off when I try to remove the plugs.

cmonSTART":2qnl3kgh said:
Did you use an easy out to get the one out?

I can already see myself going there with my 1100. The plug wells are pretty nasty so I'm sure I'm going to break one off when I try to remove the plugs.

I used several different extractors

Fortunately for me I have a friend nearby with every extraction tool set up known to man. One plug was so badly seized that I had to tap out the plug hole to a larger diameter plug. It works and only I can tell which plug is different with the boots on. I hate but I'm dealing with it.

I used PB Blaster...Extreme heat nothing worked it was seized forever.

If you get lucky yours will come out clean.

Hey Bert! Will your bike be ready to ride this season. I love the new front but I doubt I'll ever go to that much trouble.

slabghost":2t6ifv3f said:
Hey Bert! Will your bike be ready to ride this season. I love the new front but I doubt I'll ever go to that much trouble.
I've already ridden it. I'm in the middle of painting. Actually waiting on a pin striper to do his thing and then I can clear-coat.

IMG_1758.JPG

A gold pin stripe will follow the edge of the tan creme and the Ivy greene

yes bert ive been looking at the progress all the way through the build ....lots of work and not easy stuff ...cant wait for the final look and ride you get ....this will diffinitly be a wing by bert ......just great job bert :eek:k: :mrgreen:

Oh my! That is a super paint scheme. I can't wait to see it finished. If you do use the radiator wings they may be almost un noticeable in satin black. A really super build! :hi: :thanks:

Thanks for the positive remarks. There are so many things I want to do but I just can't round the money up for materials fast enough. It will all get done but slowly, much more slowly than I'd like.

Never a shortage of projects here. Always a shortage of funds and time to do them. I really like that paint! Even at a vintage wing show yours will be easy to recognize. :yahoo:

Latest posts