type of oil filter 1983 1100I

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

src68

Supporting Member
Reaction score
sorry... i did search on this site... and i couldn't find what type of filter i need or what is the best. if it is outthere, please let me know what to search on... so i don't bug everyone/anyone on these little stupid things...

thx :read:

great... now the bolt to remove the oil casing is stripped and i can't get it off... any suggestions? ppllllleeeaaassseee...... :crying:

src68":2f1yjmws said:
macka":2f1yjmws said:
anything made by wix. You can go to NAPA online, as napa filters are made by wix.

great /// thanks... any suggestions on the stripped bolt?

Sears sells a handy little bolt extractor kit in a red box. Just make sure your bike is on the center stand when you use the extractors, you need to use a fair bit of pressure to set the tool right. I usually have an assistant sit on the bike.

Sears sells a handy little bolt extractor kit in a red box. Just make sure your bike is on the center stand when you use the extractors, you need to use a fair bit of pressure to set the tool right. I usually have an assistant sit on the bike.[/quote]

thx.. will try that tomorrow... live far from a sears.... :(

src68":2635dqih said:
Sears sells a handy little bolt extractor kit in a red box. Just make sure your bike is on the center stand when you use the extractors, you need to use a fair bit of pressure to set the tool right. I usually have an assistant sit on the bike.

ok... i drove 40 miles to a Sears and got the bolt extractor kit, and i tried it when i got home... and it keeps slippen off the bolt that is really really stripped. I tried the next size smaller... and it won't fit on to even try it. So now what do i do...

macka":2x0z819a said:
vice grips I guess

vice grips (that i just bought at NAPA.. real good ones) wont hold on to the bolt keeps just slipping off... show a pic of the bolt...

sorry little blurry but you can kind of see it is very stripped....

Attachments

• DSCN2732.JPG
    DSCN2732.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 168
  • DSCN2734.JPG
    DSCN2734.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 166
It is very unusual for that bolt to be that tight. I would assume that it may be cross threaded or the PO had a leak and really tightened it up. Grab the entire filter and try to turn counter clockwise (looking at the filter) while gripping the bolt with vise grips. Worst case, dremmel cut the head off and replace the bolt (absolute last resort).

I've used a grinder to make 2 flat spots for the vice grips to get better bite on. They have to be on opposite sides and parallel.

IF you are very careful you can ues a chisle on the outer edge of the bolt and tap, or pound as the case may be which will usualy distroy the bolt but it is already unusable Don't hit the filter cartridge just the bolt head in a counter clockwise direction Good luck

get someone with a gorilla grip to lock your vise grips on..then hit them with a hammer..kind of like an impact driver affect..you can buy new/used ones on ebay all the time there are several listed right now or most Honda dealers have them.

had a friend come over. He used a ball hammer, 5lb and put the Sears bolt remover thing on the bolt.. and kept hitting it as he turned the rachet.... it worked>>>> :music: now i would like to get that oil spinner converter.... but dont' know where to go... or know what i actually need to get. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tx

Latest posts