type of oil for a 1983 gl100I

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

src68

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello, OMGosh, i read on another forum about 2 pages of oil.... and still didn't walk away with a clear cut knowledge of what type of oil should i use.... exact name and viscosity please.

thank you... :shock:

dan filipi":1plrqkq1 said:
Just get Shell Rotella 15/40 and ignore all of the other suggestions, :whistling: :hihihi:

thanks.. and do i just get that at a auto parts store??? or walmart.. or a motorcycle dealer?? i have never heard of that oil... so wnat to know before leavng house to get it... :) thx

dan filipi":3l3331ly said:
Just get Shell Rotella 15/40 and ignore all of the other suggestions, :whistling: :hihihi:
Bullsh*t! 20/50 if she has a bunch of miles. How do I know? My girl has over 300K and I noticed a positiive improvement.

...ignore all other suggestions my arse Dan... :sensored:

~O~

Omega Man":1xs4342n said:
dan filipi":1xs4342n said:
Bullsh*t! 20/50 if she has a bunch of miles. How do I know? My girl has over 300K and I noticed a positiive improvement.

~O~

:whip: :hihihi:

Omega Man":2ykno9tl said:
dan filipi":2ykno9tl said:

~O~

Come on now.. Everyone knows Mobile 1 motorcycle synthetic is the ONLY acceptable oil to use. Except during a full moon when you should use Rotella.

:doh: :mrgreen:

From the service manual...":2xva3j9u said:
Engine Oil: 3.4 US quarts/3.2 liters
Honda 4-stroke oil or equivalent API Service Classification- SE or SF General All Temperature
SAE 10W-40

The great oil debate will never end. :read: HE says tomato, I say termater....
I will use different oil, depending on temps. I have always used a 10-40, tho I will try different brands. Right now, I am using a Quaker State 10-40wt Motorcycle oil, that has definitely improved my clutch/gear change issues, compared to the automotive type oil I had been using. I have also found that I am not using, or leaking as much oil with this stuff, compared to what I was using.

AApple":bscjpvhy said:
From the service manual...":bscjpvhy said:
Engine Oil: 3.4 US quarts/3.2 liters
Honda 4-stroke oil or equivalent API Service Classification- SE or SF General All Temperature
SAE 10W-40

The great oil debate will never end. :read: HE says tomato, I say termater....
I will use different oil, depending on temps. I have always used a 10-40, tho I will try different brands. Right now, I am using a Quaker State 10-40wt Motorcycle oil, that has definitely improved my clutch/gear change issues, compared to the automotive type oil I had been using. I have also found that I am not using, or leaking as much oil with this stuff, compared to what I was using.

Didn't know Quaker State had motorcycle oil. Around here I only see Valvoline or Castrol m/c oil.
I use Rotella now but sometimes it's difficult to shift into neutral when bike is not moving.
May try Quaker State then.
Oil thread is always fun! :hihihi:

skiri251":1od7gmk0 said:
Didn't know Quaker State had motorcycle oil. Around here I only see Valvoline or Castrol m/c oil.
I use Rotella now but sometimes it's difficult to shift into neutral when bike is not moving.
May try Quaker State then.
Oil thread is always fun! :hihihi:

Well now you got me questioning my own stuff! :headscratch:
:smilie_happy: I'll have to run out and have a look-see, now. I'm pretty SURE it is QS, but I have so many different bottles/gallon jugs in the garage, it's hard to tell. There is a QS jug right next to where I park the bike, so that is what I am going by. I have an extra quart in the saddlebag....I'll have to check and see what the heck it is...it may well be Castrol.
Whatever the brand, it has definitely made getting into gear at idle/stopped much easier, and quieter on mine. Before, going from neutral to 1st would clang & make the bike jump. Now, it just makes a little "clunk" noise, but no movement of the bike at all. :yahoo:

AApple":39i45y3d said:
Well now you got me questioning my own stuff! :headscratch:
:smilie_happy: I'll have to run out and have a look-see, now. I'm pretty SURE it is QS, but I have so many different bottles/gallon jugs in the garage, it's hard to tell. There is a QS jug right next to where I park the bike, so that is what I am going by. I have an extra quart in the saddlebag....I'll have to check and see what the heck it is...it may well be Castrol.
Whatever the brand, it has definitely made getting into gear at idle/stopped much easier, and quieter on mine. Before, going from neutral to 1st would clang & make the bike jump. Now, it just makes a little "clunk" noise, but no movement of the bike at all. :yahoo:

Well, I am happy for you but w/o the brand I cannot try it. :smilie_happy:

I want to get in on the oil fun. :popcorn:
I use Delo right now and I think it's great but I think I will try the Rotella next oil change.
I think as long as you change it an a regular schedule you will be OK.
In the past I've used the Valvoline Motorcycle oil, Castorol, Walmart Supertech and they all worked fine and my Bike still Loves me. :shock:

doh.gif
DOH!
My bad...the oil I have IS Castrol 4T 10-40 for motorcycles.... :Doh2:

Don't really know..."Tested Turbo Tough, Tootsie"? :smilie_happy:
It just has Castrol 4T on the front of the bottle. It is for 4 stroke motorcycle engines. I got it at Pep Gurls...

Well I will add to the debate, I just got my Wing but I have been running 10w40 Valvoline oil standard, with both my wifes yamaha maxim and my Gs750L suzuki with no problems at all, I had hoped to keep using the Valvoline oil mabye might go valvoline motorcycle oil but not sure yet.

Ive always heard that castrol make a fantasic Motorcycle oil but never have tried it.

I think that any detergent oil of good quality would work fine, Just watch out for additives that would effect clutch.

Frank
n5mdvcolodo52
Aurora, Co.

Latest posts