Unknown sidecar

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toytender01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a the responsibilety for a sidecar that my late brother-in-law had..we don't know anything about it, such as value or make/ model any info would be helpful for my sister.
DSCN0419.JPG
DSCN0422.JPG
DSCN0425.JPG

I have no idea really. It may be an older Ural sidecar. I'd give $300 for it if it were local. With useable condition. Near complete with air in the tire all the sidecars I've seen are $800 and up in price. Nice project.

Thanks skiri I went to the site and posted the pic's. Only want a fair price for the widow. the hack is in eastern central Oregon not far from Boise Id. I will be returning there in a couple of weeks as my ride from Seattle to Sacramento is off now. :crying: :crying: :rant: :rant: :hihihi: :whistling:

toytender01":1dsek6t6 said:
Thanks skiri I went to the site and posted the pic's. Only want a fair price for the widow. the hack is in eastern central Oregon not far from Boise Id. I will be returning there in a couple of weeks as my ride from Seattle to Sacramento is off now. :crying: :crying: :rant: :rant: :hihihi: :whistling:

I was surprised that sidecar.com forum members couldn't tell what it was.

Body construction and frame resemble Velorex but there is a Velorex dealer in sidecar.com forum and he didn't post anything so I guess it's not a Velorex.

If you look at the sidecar in person, maybe you can find manufacturer's name/model# attached to the frame or the tub.

Price-wise.. since this doesn't appear to be a well-recognized, sought-after make/model (like Steib), I guess it is in the same price-range as my Velorex 562E. I bought it on Craig's List for $500.

if that, looks like it is needing a lot of work. no seat, the wheel looks, well, a bit worse for wear. and are all the mounts there?

OK I washed it up found all the mounting h/w (I think) Found the seats and took more pics.. When pressure washing some yellow started to come through....took picks of H/W...some body dammage is present... the bike it was attached to was hit a glancing blow by a GL-1800 on the left hand side(that is the 1100 I have been working on) the side car sustained more dammage from the wrecker than the accident....The bike could have been driven the 1/2 mile to home, however the wrecker hauled it 22 miles down the highway to get the storage fees... :evil: I would post the new pics but am not at home and don't have the adaptors to get them out of my camra...will post when I get home (am leaving here Thursday) :beer: . :clapping: :clapping: :heat: If intrested make an offer. the unit is in eastern Oregon about 38 miles fron the Idaho border out of Onterio

[url=https://www.forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=28119#p28119:tj8wmvvm said:
toytender01 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:44 pm[/url]":tj8wmvvm]
I have a the responsibilety for a sidecar that my late brother-in-law had..we don't know anything about it, such as value or make/ model any info would be helpful for my sister.View attachment 2View attachment 1
file.php

file.php

file.php
That is a Chinese sidecar. DMC Sidecars imported those for a short time. I have mounted a few of them. Not sure what the value would be but you can call Jay toll free at 866-638-1793 and he can help you. It still has some of the DMC mounting parts with it.

[url=https://www.forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=110321#p110321:3eofhxdi said:
Omega Man » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:04 pm[/url]":3eofhxdi]
Thanks sparrow, good to learn where it came from. This thread is three years old, sure it's long gone.

Yeah but I hate to leave a good question unanswered. :smilie_happy:

looks like a Jawa the Urals never changed since WW2.. heres my2009 URL reproduction side car. was the worst investment I have made ..made the 1500 handle like crap. removed it and sold to a HD guy who loves it.

Attachments

• 1996 Gl1500 w side car.jpg
    1996 Gl1500 w side car.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 149
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=113014#p113014:3rmwnbut said:
[email protected] » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:54 am[/url]":3rmwnbut]
looks like a Jawa the Urals never changed since WW2.. heres my2009 URL reproduction side car. was the worst investment I have made ..made the 1500 handle like crap. removed it and sold to a HD guy who loves it.
file.php

You want to look at a picture of a Jawa. The only thing in common with the Chinese sidecar is it has one wheel. Actually there have been some changes in the Ural's since WW2 although most people would not notice. As I said before, the sidecar shown was one of several copies made in China. While the Ural is a solid basic sidecar the Chinese managed to lower the quality considerably. I know the Ural's well as we used to import them by the container load from Russia.

I can't comment on how your's handled on the 1500 as I don't know how it was mounted or aligned and I have no idea what training you had to operate it. I can say I often run into those that have tried sidecars and came to the same conclusion as you. For the most part they often tried to mount their own sidecars with no advice or assistance to align it properly and I will be the first to say if that is not done right they can be a nightmare to drive. It also helps to get some training from a competent sidecar rider/instructor. Sometimes sidecars are just not what the owner thought they would be and they will never like them. I still ride two wheels on occasion but mostly my forty years of sidecar experience will cause me to choose the sidecar rig first. Maybe, like the sidecar rig, I'm just a little bit different. :smilie_happy:

IMHO, Ural sidecar doesn't suit the modern GL1500 visually.
EML or something modern German sidecar will do.
But I agree, rigidly mounted sidecar rigs feel strange to drive.
Low speed wobble, that feeling of tipping over in right turns, etc.
Maybe when I get too old to ride solo...

I am licenced Auto mechanic. motorcycle Tech and welder . and I had it installed by the selling dealer in Edmonton who only installs sidecars. took him 3 months to get it installed. claims he took for many rides to adjust alighment. cost me $4500 installed. I hauled it home on trailer. first ride was awful. phoned the seller. he wouldnt do anything about it. it was scuffing the sde car tire bad, so started to align myself. was lot better.but still scary above 55 mph.wanted to pull to right..so put the side car up for sale on EBay and a guy from NewYork bought it. got my investment back less Ebay charges .and delivered it to Nebraska where I go every year anyway.he sent a truck to pick it up.

Latest posts