Unknown sidecar

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like it just wasn't set up right.
I know very little about sidecars beside what I read on the forums and the one I drove, a 1200.
It handled very good at 70-75 though you do have to pay attention getting there because of the acceleration pull, to the right I think it was.
Suzie, the owner is a long time sidecar driver and member here. She would tell me proper setup is crucial. When I needed to remove a support for right head gasket work she was VERY concerned adjustment would be affected so I marked and counted the threads.

Sidecars in their own way are fun but they do take a lot of getting used to.

Maybe you needed an electric lean adjuster.
Because of different road crowns, no single setup makes the rig go straight all the time.
With the adjuster, you change the lean angle on the fly based on the way the rig is behaving.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=113066#p113066:19jq04kg said:
skiri251 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:40 am[/url]":19jq04kg]
Maybe you needed an electric lean adjuster.
Because of different road crowns, no single setup makes the rig go straight all the time.
With the adjuster, you change the lean angle on the fly based on the way the rig is behaving.
Trim tabs for a GW sidecar install!!!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=113057#p113057:1g3qm3vx said:
dan filipi » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:06 am[/url]":1g3qm3vx]
Sounds like it just wasn't set up right.
I know very little about sidecars beside what I read on the forums and the one I drove, a 1200.
It handled very good at 70-75 though you do have to pay attention getting there because of the acceleration pull, to the right I think it was.
Suzie, the owner is a long time sidecar driver and member here. She would tell me proper setup is crucial. When I needed to remove a support for right head gasket work she was VERY concerned adjustment would be affected so I marked and counted the threads.

Sidecars in their own way are fun but they do take a lot of getting used to.

Glad to hear it was you working on Susie's sidecar. I built that rig to play stupid with the crotch rocket crazies up the Ortega Hwy. Got tired of them coming around me on all sides unexpectedly. It originally had a smaller Spirit Eagle body mounted outboard on the frame as well as a ten gallon gas tank just behind the wheel to put the ballast in the right place. I'd let the rocket riders pass me going into the corners and when they straightened out after the corner and checked their rear view the'd see my headlight running up their back fender. I like to think as I've gotten older I wouldn't do that any more but you never know. :roll:
After a while you don't notice the push/pull any more. Actually if you remove the four correct bolts to remove the sidecar nothing changes when it goes back on.

Latest posts