Update on Bear

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck

Reaction score
So, it has been a while since i have posted on here, but that is because I had nothing new to update or ask any questions. Well, Bear sat in the garage all winter (at least from when the snow sat) and I took him out today for a little drive around town and up to Joel (who is my mechanic). Since I feel I know so little about engines, i like others to work on it, so that way if something gets screwed up, i can blame it on them. lol.

Anyways, so i have posted before about some clicking/ticking noise. Well, seems like i need some new gaskets for the exhaust, as well as have a small oil leak from the valve cover. so my next fix will be

seal for the valve covers
gaskets for the exhaust
Valve adjustment

all together with parts and labor will be $230 it looks like. Makes me sad because i am a low...LOW earner.

And now I do have 2 other plans this year, 1 will be to put my new timing belts on, and the other....to paint Bear.

I have a friend that is going to school for some auto stuff, and that also includes painting. As long as i buy the paint, he will paint Bear all the way for me.

Wow if I only posted when I had questions, I'd have half the post that I do.

If you have a decent set of tools, you can cut out the labor portion of that $230.00 in a hurry. Nothing too difficult about what you have posted there.

It's true, with no cycle experience I change the exhaust gaskets, and adjusted my own valves with the noob proof tutorial we have here from another member named Roady. If you just take your time you CAN do this EASY.

~O~

Thanks, but seeing as im paranoid of doing things right, Unless I have someone helping me, don't think I can do it by myself. My buddy who is usually my mechanic is in jail, hopefully will be out next week. But until then, yeah....just trying to save just in case.

Exhaust gaskets are copper rings that fit between the exhaust ports and the pipe ends.. no sweat on those.. valve cover gaskets are rubber non o shaped rings that will push on the covers.. valve adjustments can be made when cover gaskets are replaced... you need to remove 2 ez access covers one on left on top of engine by the shifter... the other is in the back of the engine on the left by the tire... you will need a 12 mm wrench to fit that nut.. look up the valve adjust tutorial and read it three times.. just to be familiar with the process... that way you will be ahead if the game when you assist your buddy.. and you may surprise yourself..

Latest posts