Valkyrie roll call

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K7TKA

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Slab, just checking to see if it ever stopped raining long enough for you to get some time in on the Valk. I've had the opposite problem here. The weather has been in the high 80's and low 90's for quite a while around here. Our normal this time of year is the low to mid 70's. What are your impressions so far?

Tim

I have about 300 miles on the new shinko tires and the whiskers are still on the tread. 1500 motor runs very smooth but has a lot of odd noises. Every once in a while I hear a sound like a bead chain being dropped in a metal bowl. I love the ride. Rock steady but very easy to maneuver. Going from my KZ to the 1200 was easy as was going from 1200 to Valk. However I got back on the 1200 yesterday and oops I need to relearn to ride? 6 thirsty cylinders fed with 6 carbs do not make this a bike for mileage. It's as thirsty as my truck. It's a head turner and gets a lot of attention. Overall I like it but I won't be giving up on the flat fours.

Since I added the Cobra exhaust, I can now listen to how he engine is working. It seems to really prefer to stay above 2000 rpm and is really happy above 3000 rpm. It will pull from idle speed but sounds a lot happier with some revs. My mileage doesn't seem too bad for a 1500 with 6 carbs. I did a 200 mile day with my 150 lb. grandson on the back and we got just over 40 mpg. That was almost all on the highway. Around town I hardly ever get into 5th gear. There are some clunks and bangs but I think most of that is normal. The gears are noisy when pulling a hill but work great. I'm not sure but I think the gears in the Valk are a bit huskier than the regular GL. I'm liking mine better every day.

Tim

Latest posts