Valve seal replacement

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hondaman

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced the valve seals on an 80 GL1100, with the heads on the engine?
I have a pretty good idea of how to do it, but wondered if anyone had
done this themselves. Any feedback?
Hondaman

The way I did it was by hand cranking so the piston is alittle past bottom of it's stroke on it's way up then fed some 1/8 inch poly rope into the plug hole. Then continue turning the engine until you can feel pressure of the piston against the rope which is now pushing against the valve heads to keep them closed while working on it.
Then I bolted a flat bar to the head using 2 cam holder bolts. The cam holder is off at this point.
With the flat bar bolted on I used a large wrench to compress the spring and remove the keepers.
I have a picture somewhere, if that would help I'll dig it up.

Most auto parts stores sell a valve spring compressor/clamp that will compress the valve springs enough to remove the keepers with no problems. I did mine on my 1980 using an old spark plug that i removed the end off of and welded a male air line coupler to it, and screw it into the spark plug hole. Then hook up your air hose to it with 10-20 P.S.I., it will force the piston all the way down to the bottom. The key is to leave the air pressure to the cylinder until you have replaced both seals, and have the keepers all back in place, then move to the next cyl., etc. I call it McGyverizing, but it has worked well for me in the past on most all overhead valve engines. Hope this helps. Regards.

Thanks guys.
I do have a spring compressor tool, and a spark plug adapter for air pressure. I liked the rope trick Dan. It sounds very close to when I replaced them on a small block Chevy back in the day.
Thanks for the feedback. This is why I joined up.

Hondaman

I made a tool (similar to Dan's) but I got lazy - didn't want to do the rope thing, so I just went to HF and got a compression tester for $22.00 - has a 12 mm adapter that I can hook up to my compressor :clapping: AND I get a compression tester to boot!
compression tester.jpg

Now all I have to do is actually do the job LOL

then I need to get the CB unit out of the fairing.....grrrrrrr I took the fairing off the bike and I'm going to use my die grinder and cut open the fairing to get at the connectors....been putting that off for 3 months...weather's getting nicer and I NEED TO RIDE MY BIKE :moped: