vf750 radiator fan switch, will this fit gl1200?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

83gl1200

Reaction score

Attachments

• $(KGrHqZ,!n4FJKU,FLZ)BS,4GvHRrw~~60_1.JPG
    $(KGrHqZ,!n4FJKU,FLZ)BS,4GvHRrw~~60_1.JPG
    4.2 KB · Views: 432
Not on the list of models it fits. No idea if it is the right heat range. That said. If I needed one I'd probably try it. It may require an adapter to fit or may not. Maybe someone else here knows for sure.

Have you tested the rest of the fan system? .. jumper the commenter abd turn on the key. If every thing else is good the fan should run... , if that checks out and fan will not come on when bike gets warm then I would try it.. if I had one on hand...

Yes I have the fan running while that switch plug is jumpered now, so I know its the fan switch I need. I wasn't going to buy one at all, was going to just use a mechanical switch, but then figured while the radiator is out if I could find a cheap replacement it would be worth doing to save the battery. I was looking at Geo metro switches, then I read there was a Honda civic switch that's the same, then searching for that (found civic switch for $30) eBay showed me this one...

The temp range is on the side of the switch in the picture, 92-87c which sounds right to me. Maybe the threads are a different size is all I can think of as to why it might not work. If the plug spacing is different I don't care, just that it fits.

i do believe the thread size will be too small....i got into doing some searching for a switch...cam across a new one...went to Orileys part store, crossed over the Honda oem number for the 1200 and came up with a Borg warner switch..It came up as TFS1500...it won't work either..threads to small too..even though it crossed over as the same switch..just so you and every one else here don't blow your money for that switch....they did have one that i think would work but i have not been back to trace it back down yet...the temp was around the same as opening and closing on it.

Yes I was worried the size might be wrong on some of those Geo switches too, seems like others tried and they didn't fit also, not sure what the deal is... Well I have my switch out and I think I'll take it in to Napa and compare to Geo switch. I can't afford the oem Honda switch.
I also tried to take mine apart, I read how someone opened them and cleaned them out and fixed them, but i couldnt get it open. Need to find the right nose vise grips, I have one around here, just can't find it...

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=130490#p130490:1avzsqno said:
ekvh » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:41 am[/url]":1avzsqno]
Have you tried cleaning it? Littlebeaver had a good how-to on what happens to them. It worked for me. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1524&hilit=Fan+switch+cleaning

Yes the last thing I just said was I tried to get it apart and couldn't. I haven't found the right needle nose vice grips yet though, still looking...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=130526#p130526:p6ynnchb said:
ekvh » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:57 pm[/url]":p6ynnchb]
It does take a narrow set. Now that that think of it, I took mine to a friend who has every tool.

Well never could find those needle nose vice grips so I mcguyver'd it and got it apart. In case you can't tell from the pic I used regular vise grips to bite down on regular needle nose pliers. Now to see if I can get it working.

Attachments

• IMG_20140906_190452.jpg
    IMG_20140906_190452.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 370
That's using your thought box! Let's hope your repair goes well! :clapping:

I "fixed" it, and added this below to that thread in case is helps someone else:

I realize this is a very old thread but just "fixed" my switch and had something to add to this thread, I think.
When I took mine apart it was clean inside, I didn't see anything to poke or soak and try to clean up yet it still didn't work.
I put it back together without cleaning or doing anything to it and tried it again in boiling water. Still nothing after minutes in water on a high boil... Then just to see what would happen I held it to the open flame on my stove. I heard it click in almost no time. Cycled it a couple of times that way then tried boiling water again. Now it works in boiling water after a minute or so, like it should.
I think it may be an easy test to see if a switch is salvageable to hit it with a flame, or for those that just can't get theirs apart like I almost couldn't, maybe you can get it working again without having to take it apart.

I may just use it as is for a while to see how long it keeps working before taking it apart and oiling it or soaking in carb cleaner. Getting it moving again with just flame may not last too long or work if yours is nasty inside, but it did work for me...for now...

Also if you can't get yours apart or dont have the right tools, this worked for me, using regular large vice grips to bite down on regular needle nose pliers.

Attachments

• IMG_20140906_190452.jpg
    IMG_20140906_190452.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 359
Just stumbled on this topic, like so many other things. :headscratch: My understanding is the black solid tar,plastic looking stuff in the switch itself, :read: melts much like wax, or fat, to make the connection at the right temp. :builder:

Latest posts