• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Classic Gold Wing and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted: Trunk backrest pad '82 GL1100I

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Five

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine has succumbed to the ravages of time, oxygen and moisture. The backplate has completely rusted out. I am thinking of making a new plate out of treated plywood, but thought I'd see what was available first.

I have the same problem with mine..the backing plate is rusting away... :crying: :crying:
I planned to change mine out to something more durable, too, but thanks for the idea on the plastic!! :good:

AApple":206da2xb said:
I have the same problem with mine..the backing plate is rusting away... :crying: :crying:
I planned to change mine out to something more durable, too, but thanks for the idea on the plastic!! :good:
I removed the shoulder bolts from the old backing plate, drilled holes in the plastic I had cut to size with a jigsaw that were slightly smaller the the bolts. I then heated the bolts with a propane torch and pushed them into the holes, melting them in until they were flush. I also heated a flat screwdriver and pushed plastic over the heads of the bolts to hold them in place. I had to use wood screws to hold the cover on as the plastic was too hard to drive staples in. I covered the heads of the screws with duct tape to keep them from scratching the trunk. Worked great!

Latest posts