Water pump/front cover refresh

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It wasn't running to begin with. It started leaking shortly after putting the coolant in...within 30-40 seconds. It is definitely leaking from the weep hole, guys.
The pump IS genuine Honda, unopened, sealed, in Honda packaging.
It can ONLY be the o-ring, or the ceramic shaft seal....that's it...nothing else will leak coolant from that hole.

One of these days, I might tear it back down and look, but for now....I really don't care....I'm done.

Well....I got out there this evening and filled the rad....and watched it run right out the weep hole. I fired it up(fired as soon as I hit the button, YEA!), and let it run until the fan kicked on. It still leaks...er...gushes. So...I contacted the Honda Dealer I bought the pump from and axed if they would offer any warranty/exchange on it if I determined the pump shaft seal itself was leaking. Guess I'll wait to hear back from them. If they offer a replacement/exchange, I'll rip this b :sensored: h back apart so I can see where the leak is. If they tell me to go finger myself, I'll just kick it, and let it sit. Got other things to do.... :fishin:

About 5 years ago I had to fix a pump on my 83' wing in Wyoming while on a trip. As soon as I fired it up the pump was squealing like he%% right of the bat! Right when I got home I took it to the nearest Honda stealer and showed them my receipt and they actually had one in stock and handed it to me and said to bring the old one back as soon as I got it out so they could send it to mother Honda so you should be ok for a replacement. :beer:

I just sent another e-mail to these jerks. I have yet to hear anything back from my first one. I'm guessing I just got screwed for $130 on this thing. Oh well...story of my life.
I s'pose I'll get out there today and rip the front cover back off. I think I can blow air up thru the weep hole once I get it off, and see exactly where the leak originates. If it's the o-ring seal, then it's my bad, and I'll put another new o-ring on it. If it's leaking from the ceramic shaft seal, I guess I'm just f-ed. I sure hate to spend another $130.... :rant:

gee some of the new parts offered are just crap ....might be better off finding a used one 30yrs old and beat this one those jerks that sold this need to be printed on the forum messenger placed so all can see what there lack of contact after the money is taken in is plastered as a warning to all the other members of this forum ...in my opinion period

Dont discount the possibility the transmission cover is warped or damaged from heat or corrosion

1060dsl":2gh4oogl said:
Dont discount the possibility the transmission cover is warped or damaged from heat or corrosion
Good point.

Even consider the cover could crack.
I have a hard time believing the pump seal would be bad, especially bad enough to allow a steady flow through it just sitting idle under no pressure. Even old pumps with a bad bearing and a lot of play don't leak that bad. Many not at all.

All good points, gentlemen(and you too, Joe... :smilie_happy: )....but....as it turns out, the problem is/was, once again, a loose nut. :head bang: More specifically, the nut turning wrenches on this turd! :builder:

I got the thing tore back apart, and skwerted some air up in the weeping hole, and guess what? Leaking like a sob from around the friggin O-RING. :Awe: Yup...thass rite....another one of MY f-ups. Of course, I'm sure most of ya'll were thinking that anyway...and so was I.
Anyway, here's the scoop. The o-ring that came in my gasket set is too small, cross-section-wise. That is, it was too thin to seal against the wp and the housing. I measured my original o-ring, and it measured .095" thick. I measured the one I put on, that came in my gasket set, and it is .074" thick. Then, I measured to ones I got out of the Mercedes trans kit, and they measured.... wait for it.... .095" thick! Yarhoo! So, I installed the o-ring from the Mercedes kit, put the pump back in the housing, and skwerted air up in the weeping hole, and...NO LEAKAGE! :yahoo:
Now, I have it all back together, and poured in the coolant...no leaks so far. I'm letting it sit for a few minutes to make sure, but I think the leakage is fixed...at least THAT one. No telling what others I created today. :blush:
So....the problem does not appear to be the pump seal itself, thanks goodness. It still tees me off that they will not respond to me, but...now I'll have to eat crow if they do. :blush: I don't care...it's my fault..again. I'll go out and put the oil back in, and fire it up here shortly. If all goes well, then I'll have to fix the rear brake issue, and the exhaust leak. The exhaust leak isn't a major deal at this point...the rear brake not working IS.

Here's some pics from today. I just hope all of my screw-ups help someone else down the road. :rtfm: :mrgreen: And, onced again, THANKS to all of the CGW members that helped with info/advice/encouragement. Had it not been for this forum, and the great folks on it, I would have sold this thing a long time ago. THANKS FOLKS!! :thanks: :clapping:

:shock: :smilie_happy: :mrgreen: im glad i dont buy gaskits sets sheesh :Awe: i use only original gaskets honda put on in the factory :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :whistling: :mrgreen:

I wouldn't be eating no crow over that deal, I'd be raising 'ol Billy Hell for providing the wrong o-ring and causing you to have to tear it all down again. :rtfm: :rant: Dang crackerheads, can't hire good help no mo. :doh: :Doh2:

When you say "gasket set" are you talking about the one with the funny head gaskets?

Joe stated those head gaskets were for the 1000 heads.

1. Could the water pump o-ring be different for the 1000 & 1100?
2. Could this be the big problem everyone experiences with the aftermarket head gaskets?
1000 head gaskets being advertised and sold as 1100 head gaskets? Looks a bit different, but what the heck-close enough, and people use them anyways, then have problems after a few miles? :doh: :head bang:

yes ...im sure this is the problem with the head gaskits ...the after market gaskits are misrepresented as fitting 1100 and 1200 witch are 3mm bigger on 1100s and 3.5 on 1200s as piston size ...leaving the head gaskit ring expose to chanber stresses and failure ...i know the water pum bolts are different on the 1000s and 1100s maybe oring groove to .....

Yes..the o-ring came in the gasket set that I bought when I did the stator. My reasoning behind getting the complete engine gasket set at the time was so I would have EVERYthing I needed to do the stator, AND the front cover/water pump. I wasn't planning on doing the front cover so soon, tho...and I had no intention of doing head gaskets....it just turned out that way. And yes, this is the same gasket set that had the wrong(GL1000) head gaskets.

So...I took it for a short ride after buttoning everything up. Prolly only went aboot 10-12 miles. Good news is, NO LEAKS, no oil in da water, and no water in da erl. The engine temp seemed to get a little higher than I would like, but to be fair, is IS 104* out there today. Cooler than yesterday(107* :heat: ). Imma gunna ride to work tomorrow....sure hope I make it there, and back.
I do need to drain the coolant in it, since I put in a mixture of water, antifreeze, and flush. So now I need to fill it back up with 50/50 antifreeze/water. Maybe that will also help with the engine temp. I can live with the exhaust leak for a few days, until I get a chance to fix that. I did bleed the rear caliper, and got some rear brake. Now, if everything works out engine-wise, I gotta buy a new front tire.
The fun never ends.... :popcorn:

Latest posts