Water pump/front cover refresh

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
scdmarx":2jzab0vx said:
Lotta good info gained from you working on your bike. Thanks a bunch!
Ron, I'm with you on that! But I am conflicted by the information.......in one breath, I am grateful for all of the work that Joel has done and posted for us and yet I can't help but feel bad for Joel because of all of the work he has done and posted for us at the expense of so many parts! :smilie_happy:

(Just kidding Joel! :thanks: )

I sure know your feeling joel,
I hope I have also learned my lesson about buying aftermarket parts.
now I have 2 honda oem head gaskets. and hopefully I dont have to tear her down again till its time to do full rebuild.
not to hijack the thread but I am amaized by what I found when I pulled those cheapy gaskets back out.
good thing is now I have my practice in...
and I know the heads and block are as flat as they are supposed to be.

good to hear your back on the road..
I am also shopping for front tire.
I will buy the kenda kruz to match my new back tire when I get the dough together.
and will never buy another d404 !

toast bro :salute: time to get some riding in.

Well ya'll...I rode the turd to werk. Nothing fell off, so I'm happy aboot that. :music:
No leaks, either. I still am uncomfortable with the engine temp....still seems a little higher than "normal" for this bike. It is NOT going all the way HOT, but it seems to be running just to the right of center, and rising just a smidgeon if I slow, or get in traffic. I wonder if cleaning the temp sensor created that? Maybe it had so much corrosion/tarnish on it that it wasn't giving me an accurate reading before? But...it dint go all the way hot, so....I'll have to see what it does on the way home...in the 100+ temp...and traffic... :beg:
Onced I got here, I checked the level in the reservoir, and it was a little higher than it was when I left home, but no oil. I'll check it again when I leave, and see if it went back down as it should when it cools off.
Hopefully, I'm DONE spinning wrenches for the time being.... :builder:

mine always runs that warm during the hot summer days after sitting. mines been lots hotter than that with no problems. Cleaning the system can cause things to act or appear different, but I personally wouldnt worry. Remember, itll run cooler when theres air pushing thru radiator rather than JUST the fan. Ride on, ride on...

In 95 degree temps, mine runs right at the center. Slow down below 30 MPH or stop and go traffic, it rises past center before the fan kicks in. Even after my fan kicks in (while in traffic) it still runs just past center. Get her back on the road at highway speed and it comes back to center.

100 degree temps? Might run just a bit warmer. Don't forget the radiator (with just the fan running stopped in traffic) drops the temp an average of 22 degrees from hot water in and cooler water out. If the ambient air is even hotter, the heat rejection rate is higher and you will have a higher temp on the gauge.

In 100 plus temps, I would use 15w40 or 20w50 oil personally.

Got 15/40 Rotella in it. It just skeers me 'cuz it dint use to run that hot in the mornings, until I got into traffic. The fan kicks in at the same time it always has. Ida no...we'll see how it does on the ride home here in a few minits.... :moped:

So, havent we at one time decided that straight engine oil was NOT good to be running? Not that i dont hate rotella or anything, but i kinda always blamed it on my clutch failure (running straight engine oil)

I been using the Rotella for the last few oil changes, and it has certainly helped with the "clunk" on shifts...a lot smoother.

Ron, I thought aboot using my infrared gun...I'll have to bring it home wid me tomorrow and check. :good:

And...I finally got a response aboot the water pump...
Honda Dealer":2cjm3m7q said:
Here is the label to send this back to us we will see what we can do.
Thank you!
Kate Hemingway
Internet Parts & Accessory/ Shipping Advisor

"See what we can do?" Really? :headscratch:
No thanks...I think I should write back and tell them I'll see if I can buy one from someone else that will not have to "see if they have a warranty".... :smilie_happy:
Don't matter...it wasn't a problem with the pump anyway. Guess I should tell them it's okay, but...since they blew me off until I got semi-nasty aboot it... :whip:

ANYWAY...the ride home was fairly un-eventful. Temp was slightly past center for the most part, but did get a little farther to the right before I got home. Never into the danger zone, mind you, just warmer than it has ever run before. Then again...this is the first time I have ridden this far. Until earlier this year, I was only going 26 miles one way. Now, it's 20 miles farther. At least I'm not loosing any coolant(or oil!), and I'm not getting any oil in the coolant. The reservoir level is rising up when hot, and going down when it cools off as it should be. I'll use the infrared on it tomorrow and see what's what.
Other than that, the engine is running nicely. I may have left some of the rocker adjustments on the left side a little loose...I can hear at least one of them ticking, but not bad. The engine fires right up, and idles well, and it runs well on the road. I'm gunna leave well enough alone for now.... :beg: :popcorn:

Heck yeah...Shoot...Imma bout ready to tackle those leaky carbs now! :builder:

NOT!!!! :smilie_happy: :hihihi: :hihihi: :smilie_happy:

I have moved all of the posts after the above post to a new thread, entitled Coolant Temp-Hot or Not?. All of the posts concerning the coolant temps issues have been moved to the new thread, since the discussion veered off in that direction.....
This thread is still open for any continuing discussion on the water pump/front cover issues. :mrgreen:

I got's a question Joel. When you installed your new water pump, after installation, did you physicaly check the up and down and side to side endplay of the new water pump shaft, and if you did, how much if any side play was there on the new water pump. I got to make a decision on pulling this one out while I got everything torn down to this point. I don't have any leakage out the weep hole, no bearing racket, no oil into impleller housing, no oil in radiator. The radiator is clean as a new one. I did have a coolant leak from the thermostat cover o-ring.

The pump impeller should have NO play in it up/down-left/right-front/rear....in other werds, it should be nice and snug in the bearings. My new one was tight...as it should be.

Thanks Joel. Guess I better just go ahead and bite the bullet then and replace it. I found rebuild kits for the pumps in Germany but it takes about two weeks to get them here.

Latest posts