Water pump issues...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piktureit

Reaction score
Hello y'all,

Just have a quick question. Will bad water pump seals cause coolant to get into my oil? I've got drips coming from the weep hole on the pump housing so I'm pretty sure the pump seals are trashed. My big concern is that my oil level seems to be rising. The oil looks like oil, (not cloudy or gunky) but something is making it rise and coolant is the only thing I can think of. Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated!

Thanks y'all!

Erik

Erik, two things....yes your water pump seals need to be replaced, but the oil level rising potentially indicates gas leaking into your oil from your carbs. Is the oil turning a sort of milky brown? That indicates coolant in the oil. If it is still just black, it is more than likely gasoline. (This is actually common on these carbs...ask me how I know!)

And if you ever find that your starter turns over a couple compression strokes then stops and turns over fast the next time you hit the start button that's a tell tale sign of hydraulic lock caused by liquid gas getting in a cylinder from the carb.

Thanks for the help guys! It looks like I've got gas getting into the oil. I guess it's time I figure out how to adjust the carbs. Uggh! For some reason, I'm not looking forward to it. I'm not looking forward to changing the water pump either but at least that looks mostly like straight wrench turning. The carbs have always made me think of voodoo! Dammit.

I appreciate the tips. Any carb experts on here???

Anyone know of any weird pitfalls I may encounter doing the water pump?

just make sure you have ALL the gaskets before starting the water pump job. The carbs,well,you'll just have to see for yourself. They can be a bitch to get out,when I bought my Aspencade,it looks as though the po had fiddled with em for quite a while. The water tubes,fuel tank and heat shield were all scratched to hell. Follow the tutorial and you'll be fine. Carbs and water pump jobs are on here I think. If not,try NGWclub.com and look at those tutorials. Lots of help on here,or send em out for 4-600 bucks ! Take your time,you dont want to be pulling them off more than once if you dont have to.

The water pump tutorial was excellent! My gasket kit did turn out to be short 1 o-ring but I've got a pretty wide selection where I work so it was no problem. All in all it went better than I had a right to expect. I also found out my thermostat was stuck open. Better than closed I guess. I also fixed some of the PO's crappy wiring job. :salute:

Thanks again for the help.

Glad you got the water pump up to par. I hope you've drained the oil and replaced with fresh undiluted oil. Once you have be sure to shut off the fuel before you shut down your bike. Run Seafoam or Techron or your favorite injector/carb cleaner in a few tanks of fuel. Then 6-8 oz of ATF in every other fill of fuel and you likely won't need to remove the carbs.