Water pump?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quennc

Reaction score
Just a quick question. Is it a gasket or an O ring at the water pump. I have a small leak there and don't want to have to buy a complete gasket kit for the one spot. Also if it's a gasket, would gasket maker work. Will also be looking at replacing the antifreeze incase the wrong kind was used.
Bellow is a pic of what i'm assuming is the water pump. Really need to buy a manual for this bike.

Attachments

• 2011-06-22_20.53.46[1].jpg
    2011-06-22_20.53.46[1].jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 167
I learned the hard way by using silicone instead of a gasket. When I was done I could hardly shift the bike. I had to take it apart and use a gasket.

digr":3bwdfh1g said:
I learned the hard way by using silicone instead of a gasket. When I was done I could hardly shift the bike. I had to take it apart and use a gasket.

Why not make your own "real" gasket rather than use "glue"-gasket? The first one you make will cost about the same as

1) If you are near a harbor freight, you can buy your own gasket hole punches(6.99 for punch-hammering out the bolt holes in the gasket material.)
2) Out-line the gasket material with a pen(comes in little rolls at almost any auto parts store.)
3) Razor blade cut your own gaskets and save the time you'de waste waiting for the one that you'de have order for 9.99 off ebay.
4) for orings, try one of those 13.99 o-ring kits! you can usually make those bad-boys work even if the size ain't dead-on. I've rebuilt the carbs without those dang felt washers on GL1100 carbs easily replacing them with o-rings from those. Those 3-400 multi-sized o-ring kits have more than paid for themselves in my little shop.

I'll try to get a tutorial post up here. planning to do mine soon.

Latest posts